Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hummer beadlocks or walker evans beadlocks

Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigSteve
Also have you looked into the Hutchinson Rock Monster wheels? They are the same price as the Walker Evans wheels, are DOT legal (being as you are in CA), are a double bead locking wheels like the Hummer wheels, and are used by the military. Kind of a best of both worlds scenario if you ask me. Just a thought.
Where did you find rock monsters for the same price as Walkers?

The only downside to Rock Monsters is their back spacing. Depending on your tire choice, they may not be ideal...
Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

yes i was aware of the bolt pattern. trail worthy fab is where i was gonna go. if military tires handle well offroad i was gonna do that route. i find these tires all over from anywhere at 100- no more then 300. fo r price reasons. that way i could throw more money somewhere else on the jeep (such as lights, bumpers, lift (i am aware i have to lift it to run 37's), rock rails and belly pans). i also want to have something that not everyone has on thier jeep. however walker evans rims are good and have awesome reviews and used a lot in the offroad comunity. its an option and i wanna wiegh the pros and cons. maybe cheap can be better in some ways who knows?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
Where did you find rock monsters for the same price as Walkers?

The only downside to Rock Monsters is their back spacing. Depending on your tire choice, they may not be ideal...
Rock monsters Rock Monster Beadlock D.O.T. Approved - 17x8.5 5on5" Jeep JK WK

Walker Evans Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY :: Wheels & Tires :: Wheels :: Walker Evans Wheels :: Walker Evans 17" Beadlock 31 Series Wheel Standard 3-3/4" to 5" Backspace - 4X4 Off-Road Parts

Like I said right around $400 a piece. And Hummer tires work just fine off road, I have a guy that I go up to Rubicon every year with that runs them on his Toyota. Like said before the sidewall doesn't flex as much and i'm not a fan of them on the street. But if your looking to save some money then thats certainly an option. I just figured saving money wasn't the objective based on Walker Evans being in the running.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigSteve
Rock monsters Rock Monster Beadlock D.O.T. Approved - 17x8.5 5on5" Jeep JK WK

Walker Evans Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY*::*Wheels & Tires*::*Wheels*::*Walker Evans Wheels*::*Walker Evans 17" Beadlock 31 Series Wheel Standard 3-3/4" to 5" Backspace - 4X4 Off-Road Parts

Like I said right around $400 a piece. And Hummer tires work just fine off road, I have a guy that I go up to Rubicon every year with that runs them on his Toyota. Like said before the sidewall doesn't flex as much and i'm not a fan of them on the street. But if your looking to save some money then thats certainly an option. I just figured saving money wasn't the objective based on Walker Evans being in the running.
well money is and isnt but i want the best. i was just thinking cheaper beadlocks maybe better then having to spend almost $2000 on rims and another $1000 on tires when i can spend maybe $1500 max. just looking for feedback and to see if it would be worth it. but if i choose the walker evans i was just gonna have to save up for them and spend that hard earned money to just buy rims and wait and save again for tires too or knock it out in one punch with the military upgrade. just cool and different to think about? why dont u like them on the road are they loud?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

They are loud and hard. So you tend to hear and feel everything going down the road. If your not driving it on the street then no big deal. If you are then you may want to find someone running those tires and go for a ride. What kind of vehicle doesn't really matter. Also do you really need beadlocks? If you do, then get them. I just didn't know if you were getting beadlocks just because you liked them, which is fine I almost did that.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

well i wanna get beadlocks cuz i like them and running low air makes me a lil worried about the bead coming off. i will feel better when im lower then 15lbs or less and crawling around. i know chances are slim however makes me feel better about it. also u dont see hummer rims on a jeep. but walker evans are so customizable u could do anything.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running the Trail Worthy Fab wheels on mine. No issues, They are heavier, but are literally bomb proof, i know from my Marine Corps days. I dont DD mine all the time, but i still cruise at 75 with no issues. I have both the MTR's and the BFG's. I have had the MTR's on the trails and aired down to 5 psi just to see how they worked. They performed flawlessly. I think Andy at Trailworty is doing the JK pattern with tires, rock rings, and powder coat for 2000 or so. Im in Mira Mesa and your welcome to see them for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 4 resize.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	483813   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 3 resize.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	483814   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 2 resize.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	483815  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK7007
Im running the Trail Worthy Fab wheels on mine. No issues, They are heavier, but are literally bomb proof, i know from my Marine Corps days. I dont DD mine all the time, but i still cruise at 75 with no issues. I have both the MTR's and the BFG's. I have had the MTR's on the trails and aired down to 5 psi just to see how they worked. They performed flawlessly. I think Andy at Trailworty is doing the JK pattern with tires, rock rings, and powder coat for 2000 or so. Im in Mira Mesa and your welcome to see them for yourself.
how are they on the road and off road? i can do powder coating part covered do u have to send your wheels in and could u tell me more about them?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All i did for paint was take a wire wheel and scuff them for the brushed look and then clear coated over them. They work great for on and off road. I dont drive it daily because i ride my motorcycle, but when i do drive it i dont have any complaints. They are noisy, and you do feel the road, but nothing way worse than any other 37's i driven. I didnt order the rock rings or have them powder coat, and i already had a couple sets of tires. But for all 4 with PVC's was about 900 shipped. That was before he had the pre made ones so turn around was 2 weeks. I put them together with a friend and a 5 gallon bucket, took them to ORW and had em balanced. Let me know if you need any more info. I would drive it everyday if i didnt hate traffic so much.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKEmmert77
i guess my another question is how does the hummer military tires run besides a stiffer side wall. i mean if the military uses them they must be good in some other ways right? i also am aware of the tire size and being limited however they maybe cheaper then (for example) running toyo open country mud terrians everytime and paying 300-400 dollars a tire. you can get military a set of 4 for 100 a piece if you shop in the right place. same thing with the beadlocks. i guess what i need is to get a comparision of the 2 side by side. wheres top gear when u need them? haha
Any used military tire will be obsolete now. Current military tires are 37" new Goodyear MT/Rs.

I ran walker evans beadlocks for nearly 10 years on my TJ. No problems. I only ran the aluminum ring, and they got pretty beat up but always heald air.

You will hear other people chiming in with thier brands (like I run Raceline currently) but I see the thread is about two options. Given the two, I'd suggest 17" Walker Evans.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Hummer beadlocks or walker evans beadlocks