Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hub centric wheel

Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub centric wheel

Our JKs our like the human body in several different ways. With regards to what propels them both, a tire and wheel combination is similar to a shoe and foot. If the foot is strong (hub centric wheel), it will withstand the torque and other sheer forces that body (JK) puts it through, better than a weak foot (lug centric) and will not be damaged. It doesn't matter how tight the shoe laces are tied (torqued), because those laces (lug nuts) ARE going to loosen, and soon, you will be barefoot.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have heard very few stories of wheels falling or breaking of due to lug nut failure.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not one thing wrong with running a lug centric wheel.

tapered lug nuts and wheels with tapered seating center the wheel, clamping it to the hub.

Last edited by tcdawg; 05-02-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

I don't follow your analogy...
Old 05-02-2013, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Patman
I don't follow your analogy...
I think what he really meant to say is that "Running shoes tied up are like hub centric wheels and stronger than wearing sandles with Velcro which are lug-centric

Doesn't matter at the end of the day. It's not like lug-centric rims and lugs are failing everyday or breaking. It's actually a fairly rare occurrence and it's typically caused by over torquing vs the wheel moving around or by people just not torquing their nuts enough. You could not torque the lug nuts on a hub-centric rims and once all the nuts fall off it'll do the same thing as a lug-centric rim at that point. Both will come off and pass the vehicle you're driving

It's a moot argument and not worth a thread at all. We're talking about gravity and down force here. The lugs are always responsible for holding the rim to the axle and the torque produced by the vehicle so the shoe theory is actually quite flawed. Both rims hold the same amount of torque while the vehicle is in motion. The main difference is when the vehicle lands straight down on the wheel or is sitting still parked.

Last edited by otservice; 05-02-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

I think you meant 'moot' not 'mute'.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by idiotec
I think you meant 'moot' not 'mute'.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Inspired
Our JKs our like the human body in several different ways. With regards to what propels them both, a tire and wheel combination is similar to a shoe and foot. If the foot is strong (hub centric wheel), it will withstand the torque and other sheer forces that body (JK) puts it through, better than a weak foot (lug centric) and will not be damaged. It doesn't matter how tight the shoe laces are tied (torqued), because those laces (lug nuts) ARE going to loosen, and soon, you will be barefoot.
Reminds me of Mr. Miyagi trying to explain karate to Daniel son. Very deep.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Sooner or later.....squish, just like grape.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have hub centric aftermarket wheels, but its a different diameter than the JK's hub and I have yet to find a hub ring that matches up... though I have only tried twice.

Quick Reply: Hub centric wheel