Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hub centric question...

Old 04-11-2016, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onlyone
Just as long as they are torqued correctly, there really is no need. It's nice and easy for wheels to be hubcentric, but you can center them fine with the lugs. I promise you, if your lugs come loose, that hub won't keep your wheel on. You will not get vibes if you take your time and install them correctly.
I think being hubcentric allows the weight of the vehicle to be better transferred to the wheel. I don't think the lugs of the JK are supposed to bear the weight, only hold the wheel to the hub.

The weight is safer to be transferred to the wheel directly through the hub. (The lugs are designed to hold the wheel on the hub, not to hold the weight of the vehicle directly. This is why the factory wheels are hubcentric it's not an accident, lol.)

Last edited by Biginboca; 04-11-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I'm going to make sure I get the rings this time when I order wheels. One more question since I'm about to order.

I"m looking at a set of Remington wheels but the offset is -16. The backspacing is 5". I'll be putting a 315/70r17 tire on them. Will this cause rubbing issues with a 2.5" lift? I've heard some say no and some say maybe.. The website for the wheels actually markets them for Wranglers but at $200 I need to make sure.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

My aev have 5.2" and no rubbing with 35/12.5-17 ymmv tho.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
My aev have 5.2" and no rubbing with 35/12.5-17 ymmv tho.
That makes me feel better! Thanks. So if anything WAS going to hit the suspensionin your setup it would have been the tires right? Mine would not be as wide so it should be ok? Am I thinking about that right?
Old 04-11-2016, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm running 4.75in backspacing with 315/70r17 GoodYear MTR K's I won't have my adjustable front trackbar in until next week. I currently get very minor rubbing at full stuff passenger side if I have the wheel turned to the lock toward the driver's side. Nothing major, just a little noise, and a slight rub mark on he away bar.

Think the adjustable track bar will fix it.

Every jeep acts a little different.

Happy Jeeping.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-11-2016, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biginboca
I think being hubcentric allows the weight of the vehicle to be better transferred to the wheel. I don't think the lugs of the JK are supposed to bear the weight, only hold the wheel to the hub. The weight is safer to be transferred to the wheel directly through the hub. (The lugs are designed to hold the wheel on the hub, not to hold the weight of the vehicle directly. This is why the factory wheels are hubcentric it's not an accident, lol.)
I understand what you are saying. What I'm saying is the clamping force holds the weight of the vehicle. Not the studs (properly torqued). In a nutshell as I said earlier, hubcentric are preferred and easy, but you are not going to have any problems with lugcentric either. The weight of the majority of passenger vehicles is not an issue. You would really have to get into heavy trucks to start having any issues. Even then, many are still lug centric.

Quick Reply: Hub centric question...