Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hub Centric

Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub Centric

Are hub centric wheels real important? I don't go airborn with the Jeep, (I am over 63 years old but don't drive like an old fart either).
I like the looks of the Procomp wheels but the Rugged ridge are Hub centric

Thanks , Fred
Old 01-08-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

AEV also makes hub centric wheels. Im rollin on Pintlers... love them.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

i think you justhave to get a hub centric ring if you go with non hub centric wheels
1010tires.com/hubrings.asp[/url]
been a few threads on here about it.

Last edited by mkjeep; 01-08-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: no clicky
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

well there have been alot of members on here who have said otherwise. apparently some have had issues. but thats just what i have heard.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hub Centric - No rings required...

I went through this when I bought my wheels. Definately over analyzed it. I went with Pro Comps that aren't hub centric and have had absolutely no issue with them. I used no rings or any other adapters.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Make sure you tighten down the lugs and there should not be a problem! Hub centric wheels just take more stress off the lugs...I would assume the vast majority of aftermarket wheels are lugcentric. I cant imagine too many being fitted exactly for the jk besides companies such as aev and rugged ridge...and i never hear people saying the had to get hc rings for their wheels

Last edited by stlfan06; 01-08-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

HC rings aren't required but they did take a little shimmy out that had been a mystery to me. All smooth now.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stlfan06
Make sure you tighten down the lugs and there should not be a problem! Hub centric wheels just take more stress off the lugs...I would assume the vast majority of aftermarket wheels are lugcentric. I cant imagine too many being fitted exactly for the jk besides companies such as aev and rugged ridge...and i never hear people saying the had to get hc rings for their wheels
That is a rather important "just".

This is a design point for the JK, not some casual add on that is optional.

Hub centric wheels and axles are design to transfer the majority of the vertical load via the hub flange. If that flange is not there, all of the load is transmitted to the lugs. Even if you design the mounting holes in the wheel to carry the load, you are still using the factory lugs.

It is similar situation to running stock driveshafts with a 4" lift, except that watching one of your wheels roll past you might be more alarming than a big bang from the undercarriage.

Will this work? Absolutely for some time period.
How long will it work? It depends on your driving habits, wheel size, etc.

There was a heated thread this past summer on this topic (amazing what you can find with the SEARCH function ):

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/better-hub-centric-lug-centric-wheels-90095/
Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spinlock
That is a rather important "just".

This is a design point for the JK, not some casual add on that is optional.

Hub centric wheels and axles are design to transfer the majority of the vertical load via the hub flange. If that flange is not there, all of the load is transmitted to the lugs. Even if you design the mounting holes in the wheel to carry the load, you are still using the factory lugs.

It is similar situation to running stock driveshafts with a 4" lift, except that watching one of your wheels roll past you might be more alarming than a big bang from the undercarriage.

Will this work? Absolutely for some time period.
How long will it work? It depends on your driving habits, wheel size, etc.

There was a heated thread this past summer on this topic (amazing what you can find with the SEARCH function ):

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90095
Thank you for chiming in. dont you suggest a ring with aftermarket wheels that are not hub centric. i mean people, they are like $50 or so i believe so i think as important a component as the WHEELS are (loosing one on the road SUCKS!) i know it will give me piece of mind. because of the research i did on here and elsewhere about this topic, im almost ready to pull the tigger and completely KILL my wallet and get some pintlers or just keeping my stock rims with spidertrax spacers, although this is not very desireable because i have the damn 18" saharas and 35's for an 18 are $$

But hey thats just me.

anywho, to the OP, goodluck with your decision
Old 01-08-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=spinlock;1504772]
If that flange is not there, all of the load is transmitted to the lugs. Even if you design the mounting holes in the wheel to carry the load, you are still using the factory lugs.

[QUOTE]

The first sentence is a bold statement, there is the friction between the wheel and hub. The lugs in either set up are not designed to take the full load. This is why we have torque specs for the lugs.

Second sentence is a bit off as well. For years lug centric have been used with the 1/2-20 lug and the JK is a 1/2-20 lug so there should be no issue.

I doubt that the lug is made of substandard metal just to make it a hub centric only unit. If they did I'd bet DOT or NTSB would have mad them put a warning in the owners manual.

Last edited by Broncojohn; 01-10-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Hub Centric