Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How are your black wheels holding up???

Old 09-30-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are your black wheels holding up???

I am starting to thing about bigger tires and of course new wheels to go with them and was wondering how the black wheels are holding up to off road use?

I have already noticed some "rock rash" on my stock Rubicon wheels after only 4 trail outings. On black it would really jump out!

Is going with a bead lock or simulated bead lock with a replaceable ring the only way around this?

My wheels dont have to stay show-room fresh forever but I am curious what people are experiencing...
Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well typically with bigger tires comes the necessity for wheels with a certain degree of backspacing, so the a/m wheel is "dished in" if that makes sense. So they're a lot less prone to damage with the exception of the outer "rim" of the wheel. Anyway, I have cheapo steelies and theyre holding up fine.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

You could always have 2 sets of rims/tires

1 for mall crawling and 1 for rock crawling!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The way I look at it...if they are scratched up, it means you use them for the intended purpose. I am getting the much loved/hated black XD Rockstars. I am expecting scratches, but owell.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by curtisc19
The way I look at it...if they are scratched up, it means you use them for the intended purpose. I am getting the much loved/hated black XD Rockstars. I am expecting scratches, but owell.
NOOOOO!!!! NO ROCKSTARS!!!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Rockstars and MB72's..

Kidding.. you gotta go with what you love!

I was real anal with cars in the past.. I was a slave to detailing and would flip if there was a scratch or mark. I had threepiece wheels that were raw aluminum and living near the ocean as I do they were a real bitch to keep clean. With the Jeep, life is good.. A scratch here, a ding there.. some rash..it's good.

If you are going with all black, factor a few cans of bedliner into your acquisition cost so you can touch them up whenever they need it, or go naked and enjoy the memories the scratches bring back for you!!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOL...i guess much more hated than loved. But o'well, until i find another black wheel that I LOVE like the Rockstars, then that is what I am getting. I see most people that have them are Mall Crawlers, but they will not be for me. And most of the wheeling here is trails that are mostly wooded and not as much rock. So they should be easily touched up with some black paint.

Quick Reply: How are your black wheels holding up???