Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to turn off ESP in 2wd or all the time?

Old 07-20-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to turn off ESP in 2wd or all the time?

How do you turn off the ESP traction control scenario when I drive down the road the light will come on and Flickr now and then. I would much rather have it deleted into wheel drive all the time. Is there a programer or a way to just make it never come on?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Easiest way just pull the abs fuse and it's disabled
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the manual. My 2008 manual has a procedure for completely disabling the system in it.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

It looked like the fuse shares with the fuel pump i'll look into it some more
Old 07-20-2014, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstercanada
Easiest way just pull the abs fuse and it's disabled
I'm pretty sure this won't work. Could be wrong, but I've been around here for a few years and that was a major, recurring complaint: That there was no easy way to just turn it off, to include just pulling a fuse. Plenty of write-ups on how to turn if off, including putting a switch in, and the steering wheel dance that Jeep came out with after complaints surged (my 2007 Jeep had to be reprogrammed for it to work).

As for OP, if your light is coming on, I'd recommend figuring out why. Mine doesn't come on, and I have 145,000 miles on my Jeep. Yes, it has come on when I hit a particularly slick stretch of road and such, but that's what it's supposed to do. It goes off a short while later--usually a couple engine starts. The first place to start is the centering on your steering wheel: If not centered properly--exactly!--you'll see the light occasionally. Also, you do have an ESP disable switch that has three modes. Since you're unaware of the steering wheel dance that is described in the owners manual, perhaps you're also unaware of those three ESP modes. Suggest you read the book; what you seek is there.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not uncommon. It is also something you want to fix. The cause is almost always one of the speed sensors. Happens most often if you've been wheeling in mud. First step is to clean all 4 sensors (usually solves it). On the rear, clean the sensor and tone ring. On the front, pull the sensor and clean it and do a visual check through the hole to see if there is any dirt in there.

You want the abs and traction control. It's all connected (steering wheel, brakes, wheel speed, etc). Plus, having it offroad is a huge advantage, even though you don't realize it.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
This is not uncommon. It is also something you want to fix. The cause is almost always one of the speed sensors. Happens most often if you've been wheeling in mud. First step is to clean all 4 sensors (usually solves it). On the rear, clean the sensor and tone ring. On the front, pull the sensor and clean it and do a visual check through the hole to see if there is any dirt in there. You want the abs and traction control. It's all connected (steering wheel, brakes, wheel speed, etc). Plus, having it offroad is a huge advantage, even though you don't realize it.
This made sense my steering wheel is not perfectly straight after putting the track bar in I'll center it up and try it
Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Gieringer11

This made sense my steering wheel is not perfectly straight after putting the track bar in I'll center it up and try it
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...ll=1#post42376
Old 07-20-2014, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

All is good now the steering wheel is lined up

Quick Reply: How to turn off ESP in 2wd or all the time?