Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to tell if a housing is bent?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to tell if a housing is bent?

I'm trying to find out if my d30 is bent. My c's look normal (ungusseted) but tires look a little wonky. I'm also getting some noise on suspension compression, maybe ca bushings binding?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Place a straight edge level on the axle tube, also measure the top of your C's with an angle finder to see if there is a difference between the two C's.5 This is about the easiest way without pulling your axles and chunk and having a run through check on it. Also you may wanna do a ball joint and unit bearing check on it. What kind of noise are you hearing ? Also, a straight on front pic would be helpful.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sort of a low pitch squeak when I'm hitting sunken culverts (sort of like a reverse speed bump). I'll have to go buy an angle finder today, don't have one.

I'll post a pic in a min.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Harbourone
Sort of a low pitch squeak when I'm hitting sunken culverts (sort of like a reverse speed bump). I'll have to go buy an angle finder today, don't have one.

I'll post a pic in a min.
if you have an iphone or other smart phone, just buy an angle finder or clinometer app for it.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you have an iphone or other smart phone, just buy an angle finder or clinometer app for it.
Buy? What a novel idea. How about the free Android app, Bubble? Works great!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Dang it! You beat me to it, I am always looking for ways to use that app on the iPhone I would probably still get the longest straight edge, as mkjeep has suggested, since the smartphone app may also be reading angles associated with effects of other front end parts that are possibly bad. Start at the axle tube and rule that out first with the straight edge.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can confirm your ball joints and units bearing are good, a good front end alignment should show any bend in the housing.

Quick Reply: How to tell if a housing is bent?