Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to stop the "red lightning bolt"?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im just actually wondering.
I want to buy the kit start of the new year, but i dont see why i need to adjust my driving style to suit an aftermarket part. especially when they say there are no problems when you install the kit when they introduced it. I just wanna make sure i know everything i can about it before i decide
Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 PM
JK Super Freak

As a VERY PLEASED customer, I'll try to explain everything....

first...it's not just "an aftermarket part"....It runs on it's own piggy back computer system....it changes EVERYTHING...but you WILL NOT be disappointed...

STOCK - your driving in the Jeep and wanna pass someone so you absolutely STOMP the pedal...1 sec. delay (drive by wire) then a "jolt" of throttle....only there is virtually no horse power there so it REV's high but you still get nowhere

SUPERCHARGED (NOT ONLY WITH RIPP) - same scenario....only after that 1 sec. delay (from Drive By Wire) you get a "JOLT" of throttle, only this time it's 300+ HP....BOOM...error, and you get a lightning bolt

...now ALL of this (theoretically) is happening within the first 500 miles while the JK computer "learns" that the extra power is OK...I'm sitting at about 300 miles on mine and I hardly ever get a lightning bolt

NOW how I drive the beast....in a nice straight away, I suggest 3/4 throttle, the computer reacts, the boost spools up and here comes the POWER....your launched...then I suggest full throttle after the initial acceleration, and like that your at 90 mph....waving at the import you passed....but letting off the throttle right next to their window so they can hear the blow off valve....watch there jaw drop and leave 'em in the dust.

....not that I've done this or anything...OK I did...I was excited ok

....NOT TOO BAD FOR A TOASTER ON WHEELS
Old 09-25-2008, 05:10 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wagonofdoom
Im just actually wondering.
I want to buy the kit start of the new year, but i dont see why i need to adjust my driving style to suit an aftermarket part. especially when they say there are no problems when you install the kit when they introduced it. I just wanna make sure i know everything i can about it before i decide
No problem, thats completely understandable and a fair question,

This is scenario you should rarely get.... especially with the new mapping that's been going out to separate high and low octane mapping.

The only reason your more likely to see the fail safe is based on the TIRE TO GEAR RATIO..... NOT THE BLOWER.....

Please read past the I CAN'T FLOOR IT FOR $5000????? Question and grasp the fact that if you increase drive train load by installing larger diameter tires AND increase power train output with the blower - you're more likely to trigger Jeeps important (we don't want you to blow your torque converter up) fail safe system.

Your basing your question on how little power you have now and how often you floor it now.... try to anticipate the fact that when the supercharger is in place your have 30 more rear wheel HP right from idle and a total increase of 120whp throughout. You'll also find that you will be driving the boost more than the engine because the boost curve is so linear - unlike a turbo where you'll find yourself pre-spooling with more throttle input then rolling off....

Its like anything else.... you become use to it.... the problem as you see it - is resolved with proper set up and an understanding of the how the engineers projected you driving your JK.... keeping in mind, rock crawling, mudding, sand dune jumping, towing and so on.....its easy to just mash the throttle and try to over power the obstacle, in fact there a few people (even on here) that can attest to throwing the system on without a blower). The Jeep engineers suggest that if you combine the above scenario of tire and power - that they want to make sure you don't over heat or over power the transmission or over torque the drive shaft.

They light as its being reported by this client is triggering way to much in our opinion and needs to be addressed, we hope to have it resolved ASAP. As several others have reported the light is less likely to trigger than actually trigger...

Questions always welcome,

RIPPTECH
Old 09-25-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

For those that have the red lightning bolt without the supercharger....good luck getting it fixed. Took Chrysler 7 times to fix it. They tried everything from flash to replacing the PCM and TB. Finally, they replaced the entire wiring harness for the Jeep and so far that has fixed the problem. Took them nealry two years to fix this issue. For my troubles, they gave me a free 100,000mi / 7year bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

hey RIPP, what is the optimum setting for the boost conrtoler on the 2008 jk? I also adjusted the blow off valvu to about 4 or 5 threads showing, is that about right?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
No problem, thats completely understandable and a fair question,

This is scenario you should rarely get.... especially with the new mapping that's been going out to separate high and low octane mapping.

The only reason your more likely to see the fail safe is based on the TIRE TO GEAR RATIO..... NOT THE BLOWER.....

Please read past the I CAN'T FLOOR IT FOR $5000????? Question and grasp the fact that if you increase drive train load by installing larger diameter tires AND increase power train output with the blower - you're more likely to trigger Jeeps important (we don't want you to blow your torque converter up) fail safe system.

Your basing your question on how little power you have now and how often you floor it now.... try to anticipate the fact that when the supercharger is in place your have 30 more rear wheel HP right from idle and a total increase of 120whp throughout. You'll also find that you will be driving the boost more than the engine because the boost curve is so linear - unlike a turbo where you'll find yourself pre-spooling with more throttle input then rolling off....

Its like anything else.... you become use to it.... the problem as you see it - is resolved with proper set up and an understanding of the how the engineers projected you driving your JK.... keeping in mind, rock crawling, mudding, sand dune jumping, towing and so on.....its easy to just mash the throttle and try to over power the obstacle, in fact there a few people (even on here) that can attest to throwing the system on without a blower). The Jeep engineers suggest that if you combine the above scenario of tire and power - that they want to make sure you don't over heat or over power the transmission or over torque the drive shaft.

They light as its being reported by this client is triggering way to much in our opinion and needs to be addressed, we hope to have it resolved ASAP. As several others have reported the light is less likely to trigger than actually trigger...

Questions always welcome,

RIPPTECH
i get it now.
My problem is, even with 360 HP in my drift car, my foot is still always on the floor :(
Old 09-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by silvercobra78
hey RIPP, what is the optimum setting for the boost conrtoler on the 2008 jk? I also adjusted the blow off valvu to about 4 or 5 threads showing, is that about right?
With a proper running rig the Boost Cooler Controller can be set as low as 2psi start and 5psi full.... the BOV setting is where we set ours at.

RIPPTECH
Old 09-26-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

So would I have the problem with a 6 speed? The only problems I have seen so far are with automatics.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by WV99XJ
So would I have the problem with a 6 speed? The only problems I have seen so far are with automatics.
Less probable - but more feed back is needed from clients.

RIPPTECH
Old 10-03-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

just got my jeep out of the shop and so far no light. the gears seem to help, but they chatter like crazy so it is going back. the boost control really makes a differance. the new gears put the rpm's right where they need to be with the 35's.

Quick Reply: How to stop the "red lightning bolt"?