Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to stop the "red lightning bolt"?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know how much boost it is pushing, i am installing a boost gauge and istalling the methanol boost cooler. i will have to do some tuning after i finish.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silvercobra78
thats form the replys. I always run high octane fuel and i am currently in the prosses of upgrading from 31" tires and 3.73 gears to 35" tires and 4.88 gears. Hopefully by letting up on the throttle, the light will not come on as much. I still wish i could actually pass a car with it and it not happen. Maybe the new gears and tires will help. Let me know what yall think.
Something sounds wrong, have you set your blow off valve as per the instructions? It should not be going on that often; I would bank on there being something wrong some place. Just give us a call and we will try to tech you through this, its truly unusual to have it come on that often…

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
I drive with the OD off....and have NOOOOOOOO problem flying past everyone on the highway....or anywhere for that matter.....I had to pretty much "re-learn" the throttle of my Jeep, I actually see more power and more boost off of 1/2 to 3/4 throttle...on the random occasion I do get the lightning bolt, but I also only have 200 miles on the SuperCharger.....

....How much BOOST do you make?
Cool – good move nice input and way to follow those instruction, did you find the document at the rear of the instruction labeled “Driving your JK” informative and useful?

i only have about 250 miles on mine, i also drive with the OD off. it only seems to come on right before or right after it shifts. as soon as i finish regearing it, i plan to double check everything and call RIPP if anything is still acting up.
We’ll be waiting for the call…..

RIPPTECH
Old 09-22-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Even if I pass someone on the interstate, it comes on when it shifts back into overdrive.
.......doesn't sound like you drive with OD off....just saying

....RIPP I didn't get the instructions for the blow off valve adjustments, I have it set with about 2 threads showing on the bolt and see the most boost at that mark

Last edited by x No Compromise Offroad x; 09-22-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS

For example if you choose to floor it with the Automatic on 87-89octane fuel, running 3:23/73 gears and 35" tires the transmission ecu will recognize the added load combined with the added power and determine that there is to much power for the "mathematical equation" that is your drive train. It will trigger the light and "dumbing" down the power for you. However if you follow the instructions and drive with the throttle slightly off floored the ECU will better match the “load” mapping the throttle input – or not be so sensitive to the added power. Learning how to drive the boost rather than the throttle will be the first thing you have to come familiar with. Remember when you drive your JK your making suggestion with the throttle, your JK is Drive By Wire, which means you have no direct linkage to the throttle, your inputting a signal and the ECU is determining for you how much to open the butterfly. However if you are running the high octane mapping and high octane fuel the ECU will again recognize this and be less likely to trigger the load system.

This is all based on your install being 100% or otherwise no other issues, for further information please don’t hesitate to call.

RIPPTECH
wait wait wiat
5k and he cant even floor it when he wants?

or am i misunderstanding?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so RIPP, what do you guys charge to do an install at your shop?? I live close enough to come down for an install party, Ill even supply the beer.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Old 09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

the shop that installed the kit is supposed to be calling RIPP any day now, they have it in there shop so they can check everything while on the phone.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
.......doesn't sound like you drive with OD off....just saying

....RIPP I didn't get the instructions for the blow off valve adjustments, I have it set with about 2 threads showing on the bolt and see the most boost at that mark
Yes we are doing updates to the instructions on a daily basis and the BOV adjustment has been made. The BOV is there to release compressor surge during cruising and part throttle driving. It does not ultimately control boost levels. In our rigs we are adjested to about 4-5 threads showing. For our driving condition (stop and go traffic) its feels the best.

Originally Posted by wagonofdoom
wait wait wiat
5k and he cant even floor it when he wants?

or am i misunderstanding?
Misinterpreting-

You - as a driver - have no real total control of the throttle in the JK The JK uses drive-by-wire, when you press the throttle your suggesting how much throttle you need to complete the task of acceleration, but the reality is the ECU is doing all the input for you.

When you increase your tire size the load changes dramatically, your internal processors don’t know that so the fail safe system (red lightning bolt) is on alert. Not putting the throttle to the floor produces the same power without the trigger happy fail safe system. When you get drive train adjusters like the Hypertech units it corrects the “mathematical equation” that is your drive-train load and you’re less likely to trigger the fail safe.

Question welcome

Originally Posted by racer83l
so RIPP, what do you guys charge to do an install at your shop?? I live close enough to come down for an install party, Ill even supply the beer.
$1000.00 for the complete system – you’re welcome to come down like some of our other clients drive ours jeeps and see if its for you. Depending on the option (Boost gauges and such) we can have it done in 1 day

the shop that installed the kit is supposed to be calling RIPP any day now, they have it in there shop so they can check everything while on the phone.
We’ll be waiting
Old 09-24-2008, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Y
You - as a driver - have no real total control of the throttle in the JK The JK uses drive-by-wire, when you press the throttle your suggesting how much throttle you need to complete the task of acceleration, but the reality is the ECU is doing all the input for you.
didnt answer my question

In your other post in the advertiser section, you stated that your unit will work with no problems with the stock components.....

if i stomp on the pedal, and it creates an error, then that would be a problem

is this going to be addressed later or what?
I want to buy a kit, but stuff like this makes me question the legitimacy

Last edited by wagonofdoom; 09-24-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thank that lightningbolt represents how fast your about to go

Quick Reply: How to stop the "red lightning bolt"?