Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to stop the "red lightning bolt"?

Old 09-18-2008, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How to stop the "red lightning bolt"?

I added a RIPP supercharger to my 08 Jeep Jk and whenever I get in to it the darn red lightning bolt light comes on and i have to restart the jeep. Even if I pass someone on the interstate, it comes on when it shifts back into overdrive. Anyone have any suggestions, please help!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:57 AM
JK Jedi

I would contact RIPP, they have a representative active in this forum, maybe PM him and I'm sure they can help.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Send the entire kit to me and I'll try it on my 07 and let you know the results
Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silvercobra78
I added a RIPP supercharger to my 08 Jeep Jk and whenever I get in to it the darn red lightning bolt light comes on and i have to restart the jeep. Even if I pass someone on the interstate, it comes on when it shifts back into overdrive. Anyone have any suggestions, please help!
Sorry I missed this:
There is an entire section dedicated to the Red Lightning bolt on your dash in the supercharger instruction manual, given how new the system it isn't likely that the forum is where you would turn for this answer. Please call or email our shop and we can tech you through the light. 718-442-4723 x17 is tech or hit zero for the sales line and ASK FOR JK tech support.
tech@rippmods.com

That being said the Red light is a product of several things, most of it having to do with the combination you’re choosing to run. First off if its a fresh install with less than 500 or so miles the ECU hasn't fully "learned" the new mapping and will be a bit trigger happy - especially if your always flooring it and especially if your combination puts a lot of load on the drive train. If you have a heavy drive train load we recommend using the high octane mapping only until you match your gearing to tire/wheel combination. This is not a product of the supercharger directly but rather a product of the added power and drive train load together.

For example if you choose to floor it with the Automatic on 87-89octane fuel, running 3:23/73 gears and 35" tires the transmission ecu will recognize the added load combined with the added power and determine that there is to much power for the "mathematical equation" that is your drive train. It will trigger the light and "dumbing" down the power for you. However if you follow the instructions and drive with the throttle slightly off floored the ECU will better match the “load” mapping the throttle input – or not be so sensitive to the added power. Learning how to drive the boost rather than the throttle will be the first thing you have to come familiar with. Remember when you drive your JK your making suggestion with the throttle, your JK is Drive By Wire, which means you have no direct linkage to the throttle, your inputting a signal and the ECU is determining for you how much to open the butterfly. However if you are running the high octane mapping and high octane fuel the ECU will again recognize this and be less likely to trigger the load system.

This is all based on your install being 100% or otherwise no other issues, for further information please don’t hesitate to call.

RIPPTECH
Old 09-20-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

thats form the replys. I always run high octane fuel and i am currently in the prosses of upgrading from 31" tires and 3.73 gears to 35" tires and 4.88 gears. Hopefully by letting up on the throttle, the light will not come on as much. I still wish i could actually pass a car with it and it not happen. Maybe the new gears and tires will help. Let me know what yall think.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by silvercobra78
thats form the replys. I always run high octane fuel and i am currently in the prosses of upgrading from 31" tires and 3.73 gears to 35" tires and 4.88 gears. Hopefully by letting up on the throttle, the light will not come on as much. I still wish i could actually pass a car with it and it not happen. Maybe the new gears and tires will help. Let me know what yall think.
Did you call them?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Not yet, I have the axles tourn down at the moment and waiting on the gears, but i will call them when it hits the road again.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I drive with the OD off....and have NOOOOOOOO problem flying past everyone on the highway....or anywhere for that matter.....I had to pretty much "re-learn" the throttle of my Jeep, I actually see more power and more boost off of 1/2 to 3/4 throttle...on the random occasion I do get the lightning bolt, but I also only have 200 miles on the SuperCharger.....

....How much BOOST do you make?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

I have no idea when it comes to the supercharger .. I know when I had that happen on mine stock engine, no mods ...

it was because my sensor was lose and coming on and off the throttle control.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

i only have about 250 miles on mine, i also drive with the OD off. it only seems to come on right before or right after it shifts. as soon as i finish regearing it, i plan to double check everything and call RIPP if anything is still acting up.

Quick Reply: How to stop the "red lightning bolt"?