Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to soften a rough ride?

Old 10-28-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The very best upgrade to my jeep has been Rancho RS9000xl shocks. They have 9 position clicker to adjust your ride. Most shocks are 1 way only soft or hard that's it. It only takes a minute to adjust them. And right now if you buy 4 of them there is a rebate of 100% for one of them.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mcgee10
The very best upgrade to my jeep has been Rancho RS9000xl shocks. They have 9 position clicker to adjust your ride. Most shocks are 1 way only soft or hard that's it. It only takes a minute to adjust them. And right now if you buy 4 of them there is a rebate of 100% for one of them.
X2 on this one. You can adjust the shock for any type of driving or terrain, plus with their by 4 for the price of 3 shocktober offer, you can't go wrong! I also added a set of metalcloak's dual-rate 2.5" springs (netted >3"s of lift); combined they make for a very nice ride. Now to flip my drag link and adjust my castor...
Old 10-28-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I have same symptoms as OP except my shocks are new. Only 55K on the jeep, I feel like when I hit a crack or raised section of road it's like I'm hitting a parking curb. I do have toyo m/Ts but there is no way a tire can be that stiff. And when I have anyone in the jeep with me, my rear bump stops bottom out. Feels like Im going to bruise my tail bone lol
Old 10-28-2012, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same symptoms after installing my lift. I went back and loosened my control arms front and rear, then jumped up and down on the bumpers. I tightened everything back up and it was night and day difference. When I installed the lift I didn't loosen the control arms and I think the control arm bushing where in a bind.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chaffin1
I had the same symptoms after installing my lift. I went back and loosened my control arms front and rear, then jumped up and down on the bumpers. I tightened everything back up and it was night and day difference. When I installed the lift I didn't loosen the control arms and I think the control arm bushing where in a bind.
Did that already. My next steps are gonna be RK LCAs and trac bar. And check for play in ball joints. Other than that, I really don't want to go through changing out springs or shocks again.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do E rated tyres really make that much of a difference? I changed coils, shocks and tyres all at the same time 6 months ago and am now trying to solve my harsh ride. I have since added AEV drop brackets and Bilstein shocks which improved the ride, but still harsh. Will dropping back to a D rated with 2 ply sidewall or even c rated tyre make a noticeable difference. I cannot do much with the coils as I have a CRD, so need a firmer coil to take the additional weight.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieTom
Do E rated tyres really make that much of a difference? I changed coils, shocks and tyres all at the same time 6 months ago and am now trying to solve my harsh ride. I have since added AEV drop brackets and Bilstein shocks which improved the ride, but still harsh. Will dropping back to a D rated with 2 ply sidewall or even c rated tyre make a noticeable difference. I cannot do much with the coils as I have a CRD, so need a firmer coil to take the additional weight.
E rated tires make a noticeable difference. They are usually found on F250/350 and 2500/3500 Chevys and Dodges
Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

E Load rated tyres do make a difference, a very noticeable difference. So i swapped my E Load rated MT MTZ 265/70/17 back to my stock tyres just to see the difference. It was like night and day. I then started doing some research, speaking to various tyre places, people etc. i found the tyre vendors and shops were mostly useless, in one sentence they would not recommend a E Load tyre for a light JK, in the next they would quote you one of their tyres that is E rated, and advise you to lower the PSI, because in 265, all tyres are E Load rated.
So i went around to various tyre shops to have a look and feel of different tyres, bounce them, sit on them etc. the Duratracs were definitely one of the softer more elastic tyres, so i took the plunge and purchased a set of 285/70/17, and once again, the difference is night and day compared to the MT MTZ. (MT are known to have a stiff carcus though)
So i once again have a nice riding JK. I cannot believe that a set of tyres could make that much of a difference.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dethinator
X2 on this one. You can adjust the shock for any type of driving or terrain, plus with their by 4 for the price of 3 shocktober offer, you can't go wrong! I also added a set of metalcloak's dual-rate 2.5" springs (netted >3"s of lift); combined they make for a very nice ride. Now to flip my drag link and adjust my castor...
I also have the metalcloak's dual-rate 2.5" on my Rubicon JKU using the stock shocks w/ extension. I'm looking into getting new shocks also. Metalcloak uses the new OME Nitro Sport Shocks for their ARB set up but I do not have any experience w/ the new OME shocks.

At what setting are you running the Rancho's shocks in the city and off road

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

The way the shocks were mounted on that jeep... is that the correct way? Or does it matter if they are flipped. I've never seen them mounted upside down before

Quick Reply: How to soften a rough ride?