Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how are the silent armor tires

Old 09-06-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

I don't mean any offense by this but do you ever use the search function. There are threads to a lot of your questions in there...I think all the questions you ask can be answered in great detail there...
Ok thanks and no I don't use it
Old 09-06-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

I have GoodYear SilentArmor's in Rubi size 255/75/R17, I would say stay clear of them. Like the GoodYear MT/R's they can be very hard to keep BALANCED. If your going to go with a GoodYear tire go with the Duratrac, They do not seem to have the balancing issue's that the SilentArmor's & MT/R's have. Oh I have 13,380 miles on my tire's and they have been balanced 3 time's, and they will not stay balanced.

Last edited by Shadow's_Jeep; 09-06-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had them on my 91 YJ 33/12.25/15 they were great on the road wet or dry. Snow packed in pretty good but in Ga that was not a prob too often.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RSTRICK
I had them on my 91 YJ 33/12.25/15 they were great on the road wet or dry. Snow packed in pretty good but in Ga that was not a prob too often.
Were they good in snow
Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Shadow's_Jeep
I have GoodYear SilentArmor's in Rubi size 255/75/R17, I would say stay clear of them. Like the GoodYear MT/R's they can be very hard to keep BALANCED. If your going to go with a GoodYear tire go with the Duratrac, They do not seem to have the balancing issue's that the SilentArmor's & MT/R's have. Oh I have 13,380 miles on my tire's and they have been balanced 3 time's, and they will not stay balanced.
Thanks any experience with other tires that were good in snow
Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BFG AT KO are awesome, but my current Duratracs kick butt in the snow.

Trust me, I am a fellow Buffalonian.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
BFG AT KO are awesome, but my current Duratracs kick butt in the snow.

Trust me, I am a fellow Buffalonian.
Gotta love buffalo where about in buffalo
Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

im running 265/70/17 Silent Armors and im also having balancing issues. They are awesome on road and even mild to moderate trails. I haven't had them in mud yet. But i see your in NT. Im in Orchard Park/ Hamburg area its nice to see some more WNY jeeps!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shadow's_Jeep
Shadow's_Jeep haha every topic with silent armors is see you and its always the balancing issue! not to hi-jack here but Ive had mine balanced 2 more times since i started that thread with the shimmy at 40-50mph. at this point im just dealing with it haha
Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have ordered the Falken Wild Peaks, but I wanted to stick with something close to stock size, and I didn't want to go with an E load rating. So I ended up ordering a set of Goodyear Duratracs in 265/70R17C1. Despite all calculations saying that the Duratracs should be smaller than the SR-As that my Jeep is currently wearing, they supposedly measure out to be about a quarter inch taller. I'm hoping they get here soon... One week from today, I'm supposed to be on the road to Colorado for the Ouray Jeep Jamboree.

I almost went with the SilentArmors, but I read somewhere on here that the while the SilentArmors have more of a road tread, they have an off-road carcass. The Duratracs have a more aggressive tread, but the carcass is more like that of a street tire. As a result, the SilentArmors handle a little better on the road, but give a slightly rougher ride. The Duratracs perform better off-road, but have a weaker sidewall that's somewhat prone to damage if you aren't careful. Since both are far better in all aspects (except price) than my SR-As, I figure the Duratracs will better suit my needs - daily driving, with the occasional trip off-road.

Quick Reply: how are the silent armor tires