Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to secure a Jeep onto a trailer for a long haul

Old 09-05-2016, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to secure a Jeep onto a trailer for a long haul

I am planning a trip to MOAB next month and have a question about securing my Jeep to the trailer.

I have trailered lots of stuff before, but never a car. My question is about the tie down straps and where to attach them. Mostly I have seen cars and other vehicles tied down to the trailer from the axle or with a strap around the tire. Since the Jeep has very strong and convenient D rings on each corner, would it be OK to use those to attach the straps to?

Does it make a difference if the vehicle is able to move on its springs? Is that why the axle or wheel is usually used? Don't new cars on the car hauler get strapped down from the frame?

Just wondering.

Last edited by maxspongebob; 09-05-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Either way should be fine. I would use 4 straps. By just doing the axles the jeep body will pivot along the suspension. Doing the D rings will pull the suspension down and the straps can come loose when you hit bumps if you don't get them really tight. I criss cross two straps at the axles and sometimes just run one to the bumper to keep the swaying to a minimum. Keep an eye on the straps and check them when you stop.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the fast response and the advice.

I did see a youtube video that had some good info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnG03ruoeSg The most important thing that I can see, if you tie to the frame, is that you want to make sure the tiedown cant come undone when the trailer goes over a bump and the springs compress.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not a pro so don't take everything I say to the bank and you're at your own risk LOL. I've hauled several cars, trucks, and my Jeep several times. I always strap to the axles. I use axle straps with abrasion resistant covers on them. Axle straps are about 2' to 2.5' long. They have closed loops on their ends. You wrap these around the axle, and then you hook ratchet straps to those ends and to your trailer. Use two axle straps and two ratchet straps per axle. Many say that strapping down in an "X" pattern is the best. When I say X, I mean you strap one side of the axle and the other side of the trailer (example: the strap on the driver's side rear axle gets strapped to the rear passenger side of the trailer and the passenger side rear axle strap gets strapped to the rear driver side of the trailer, and do the same for the front). This is usually what I do unless there is something in the way of crisscrossing them.

There are straps that attach to the tires but I don't like those as well. You want to pull the vehicle to the rear, to the front, to the left, and to the right. Basically keeping it from going any direction on the trailer. I don't think you can achieve that with the tire straps. Maybe you can; someone chime in if you want.

As for strapping to the frame. You better use chains if you want to do that and you better strap it down tight. When you hit large bumps in the road the Jeep will bounce. If you don't remove all of the travel you may have it bounce and you may have something come undone. That won't be good. I prefer to let the suspension travel. It won't go anywhere if you do it correctly. The car haulers use special hooks that fit into slots in the frame and use chains. There is a lot of stress on the strap or chain when you hit large bumps in the road and your pulling down on the suspension.

Again, you're at your own risk here. Good luck. Wish I could go to Moab soon also. I'm jealous.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pittsburgh to Ouray Colorado and back. Use the D-Rings, cross from right ring to left of trailer and left ring to right of trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow Rig.jpg
Views:	1491
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	656147
Old 09-06-2016, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you go to MAC Tie downs they have a video on the proper way to strap down a jeep. Follow those recommendations and you'll be fine. They are the ones i use when hauling my JKU. Have fun and enjoy ur trip. Be sure to post pictures if you can
Old 09-06-2016, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest tying to the axles. Get some axle straps.

If you have tons of suspension travel, one good bump at 85mph could very easily compress the suspension enough to allow a strap to come off of a frame mounted D ring.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does a strap unscrew the cross bolt and jump out of a D-Ring? That strap should get a job, it's got more skills than a lot of the employees that I have.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
How does a strap unscrew the cross bolt and jump out of a D-Ring? That strap should get a job, it's got more skills than a lot of the employees that I have.
A lot of straps have an open ended hook. I used to tow strapping down from my d-rings, and once had a strap come loose.
I've since strapped down on my axle in a X, and noticed that the trailer tows much better this way as well.
So one more vote for strapping down on the axle side.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MTNBKR
If you go to MAC Tie downs they have a video on the proper way to strap down a jeep. Follow those recommendations and you'll be fine. They are the ones i use when hauling my JKU. Have fun and enjoy ur trip. Be sure to post pictures if you can
LMFAO. I went to MAC Tie downs and saw this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanging Jeep.JPG
Views:	1373
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	656190

I think this one is secure on the trailer.

Quick Reply: How to secure a Jeep onto a trailer for a long haul