Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to replace the inner axle seal on your Dana 44 JK axle

Old 10-06-2020, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you decide to sell it and end up needing one, just let me know and I'll ship mine down. I've got 2 jeeps that use the tool here at home and I still maintain my brother's TJ Rubi that could also use the tool. I took it across town last month to help a guy put seals in.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
That member hasn't been active in the last 6.5 years, so don't expect a response. It's just simple all thread, bolts and washers there you should be able to piece together at your local hardware store. You really need to have a seal on hand so that you can pick a big washer that is going to fit the seal perfectly and that is what will actually be pressing it in place. I've always used an actual press every time I've had to change seals. It's been a worthwhile tool to have on hand and when I'm tired of looking at it I'll be able to sell it for about what I paid for it, which was around $100-$120 if I recall (years ago).
No worries thanks for the reply all the the best to you.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

It's been years since I replaced my seals, but if I remember correctly, we used a short piece of two inch steel pipe, deburring one end to remove anything that might damage the new seal. My friend welded a small piece of flat plate onto the opposite end of the pipe. I held that against the new seal in the differential, then he took a long, one inch pipe, inserted it through the axle tube all the way into the diff housing, then rapped on it a few times with a hammer while I held the other end against the plate. Reversed everything to do the other seal. Two person job, but got it done. I'm a big fan of proper tools, though, so if anyone knows a good place to buy the actual press, let me know. :-)
Old 10-07-2020, 04:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm a big fan of proper tools, though, so if anyone knows a good place to buy the actual press, let me know. :-)
I'll dig mine out tonight and see if the actual part number is on it and the end pieces. I know I have 2 sets of end pieces (for both the old and new styles I believe). It's not as easy searching for the specific parts on-line as one would think. I've also used the Yukon press below and it was a quality press. It's a bit more generic but it works like a champ. I know it's appealing to so many to look at a $7 combination of bolts and washers and then at a $120 press and decided to go with the cheap route, but as you note, the proper tool for the job really makes things easier.

https://www.yukongear.com/productdet...px?ProdID=5403

I had that Yukon press and the only reason I sold it was cuz I kept seeing $100 sitting on my shelf unused for a good while. It wasn't long after I sold that one that I had another leaky seal. I was actually fortunate to snag the Mopar press off the boards around that time and have had it since. I keep thinking that I or one of my friends might need it at some point again.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Here we go, Mopar part numbers from the tool in my box. Somehow I also ended up with two sets of the outer pieces.

The outer pieces can be flipped at accommodate the new and old style seals.

Last edited by karls10jk; 10-07-2020 at 04:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 12:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Got this added to my wish list for next time I place an Amazon order ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Quick Reply: How to replace the inner axle seal on your Dana 44 JK axle