Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to remove the front axle assembly?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove the front axle assembly?

So pretty much I am wondering how hard itd be to swap out a front d30 for a d44. What all needs to be taken off? About how long would it take? Level of difficulty?

I know its a lot of questions, just curious to see how many people have done it on their own and how hard it is. Also if there is a rite up that I am missing feel free to direct me to it, I searched a few things but came up with little
Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

It shouldn't be to rough a job. The biggest challenge is the brake lines and ESP/ABS wiring.

If your bolts are not to rusty it would go pretty quick. If you are transferring parts from one to the other you will be delayed. I bet a 4 hour job depending on what you run into and how hard you go at it. If you had a friend it would definately go allot faster.

Need to disconnect:

Lower shock
Control arms
Brake lines
ESP/ABS lines
Front Driveline
springs
lower link bolts
track bar
stearing stabilizer

I can't really think of anything else that needs to come off. One challenge would be getting it all setup and still being all aligned. Might want to plan to do the swap and get a alignment right after.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WymansPond
It shouldn't be to rough a job. The biggest challenge is the brake lines and ESP/ABS wiring.

If your bolts are not to rusty it would go pretty quick. If you are transferring parts from one to the other you will be delayed. I bet a 4 hour job depending on what you run into and how hard you go at it. If you had a friend it would definately go allot faster.

Need to disconnect:

Lower shock
Control arms
Brake lines
ESP/ABS lines
Front Driveline
springs
lower link bolts
track bar
stearing stabilizer

I can't really think of anything else that needs to come off. One challenge would be getting it all setup and still being all aligned. Might want to plan to do the swap and get a alignment right after.
Thats what I had listed too, just wanted to make sure I didnt miss anything. So basically after disconnecting all of these it should just roll right out right? making room for the new one?
Old 01-21-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

I'm not underneath the JK to validate but I believe so. Be careful on the sensor as they tend to snap since they are small and fragile.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Add to your list draglink at the knuckle or pitman, and take tierod off to use on new axle if your using the stock tierod
Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to ask, double that time. If you can't lift 100 lbs, add time. If you don't have two decent floor jacks, add time. If you're doing it alone, add time. If you don't have any power tools, add time. If you got one with a locker, don't include wiring that with the time. I'm not even trying to talk you out of it. It really isn't a bad job. I just don't want you to feel frustrated if the job runs way over four hours. You're guaranteed to run into a snag or two that'll suck up a bunch of time.
-Disconnect all hoses and wires first.
-An impact, either air or electric will really help with getting those larger bolts out.
-Have a long breaker bar handy, that'll also help with loosening some of those nuts. -Make sure you have the Jeep up on some good jack stands, chock the rear wheels (before jacking it up) -be safe.
-Have your computer on and ready. Just about everything you'll want to know from torque specs to how to disconnect the driveline from the front yolk is pretty readily available on this site although you may want to Google it as opposed to using the search button. Sometimes Search gets a little confused about what your asking for. -Search for info by the specific job you're doing as opposed to just "axle swap."
It's been a couple years since I did it and that's all I can remember right now. Good luck, take your time with it and you'll do just fine.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Not terribly difficult, i would PB-Blast or WD-40 the night before just for a little extra help. I recommend using a twin post or similar type hoist if you have access, i have done it with and in a gravel driveway. Two totally different experences but very similar at the same time. Dont forget to refill the diff fluid and bleed the brakes if they are disconnected.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
If you have to ask, double that time. If you can't lift 100 lbs, add time. If you don't have two decent floor jacks, add time. If you're doing it alone, add time. If you don't have any power tools, add time. If you got one with a locker, don't include wiring that with the time. I'm not even trying to talk you out of it. It really isn't a bad job. I just don't want you to feel frustrated if the job runs way over four hours. You're guaranteed to run into a snag or two that'll suck up a bunch of time.
-Disconnect all hoses and wires first.
-An impact, either air or electric will really help with getting those larger bolts out.
-Have a long breaker bar handy, that'll also help with loosening some of those nuts. -Make sure you have the Jeep up on some good jack stands, chock the rear wheels (before jacking it up) -be safe.
-Have your computer on and ready. Just about everything you'll want to know from torque specs to how to disconnect the driveline from the front yolk is pretty readily available on this site although you may want to Google it as opposed to using the search button. Sometimes Search gets a little confused about what your asking for. -Search for info by the specific job you're doing as opposed to just "axle swap."
It's been a couple years since I did it and that's all I can remember right now. Good luck, take your time with it and you'll do just fine.

What he said ^ . I've swapped in a d44 and then taken it out again to do gears and a sleeve install. It's not technically challenging, but it is heavy and there are alot of big bolts. Air tools will help shave ALOT of time off the job.

Quick Reply: How to remove the front axle assembly?