Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to proceed?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by AF_SGT
I want to eventually turn this thing into a beast, but it's going to take me a while because I am not loaded with cash. What is the smartest way for me to approach this build?
Can you weld?

If not, your best bet will probably be minimal investment into the d30. Just enough to get you by until you can afford to upgrade. Why sink 2 or 3 or 4 grand into something you know you will be getting rid of, especially if that money gets you half or three quarters of the way to the upgrade. Gussets up front, lock the rear if you need the traction, and call it a day.

If you can do the work yourself, then have fun and beef the hell out of it. When you sell it for the future 44/60 upgrade, it won't be for nearly the loss as if you had paid shop rates for all the labor. (get a few quotes, labor can take a huge bite out of the budget...)

Which way you go will have a lot to do with your actual budget, and the time-frame involved. 37's and beating the snot out of it by next year vs taking it easy for 4 or 5 years while you save up for the beast conversion.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice! To answer the question, no I cannot weld, but my father only lives a few hours away and has a full auto shop and he can teach me to and help weld. I am military, and just found out I am heading to A very time consuming job in DC. I probably won't have many opportunities over the next 3 years to do anything too hard corps. I'll still try to get out on the trails when I can, but I'll be on the road a lot. Whichever way I go, I won't be paying labor, my father and I will do the work ourselves.

I may be better off like some of you said, just saving up and doing things once the right way. Now I need to figure out what the "right way" is

Thanks all

Quick Reply: How to proceed?