Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how to pick the right winch?

Old 11-22-2015, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some good advice above.
When I see winches priced cheaper than a typical quality track bar (piece of steel with a couple joints) it makes me fearful. Do your research.
Depending on type of terrain you wheel, synthetic is not always better. Sure it's cool, and sure most race teams use it, and yep, it'll save a whopping ~25lbs, but in sharp environments it's not the "safe" choice. Veterans around these parts use wire.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

All of the winches are rated at their maximum capacity (they're advertised rating) with only 5 rounds of cable left on the reel. Not many people actually take the time to run out that much line.

If you run out that much line like you're supposed to then you end up with a ton of line out. A good way to take up that extra line is a snatch block directing the end of the winch line back to your jeep. Adding the snatch block doubles your winch capacity.

I'd still run a winch that is 1.5x your weight. I had a 10k in my 2dr. Winches work great when you don't use them, make sure your feedback comes from people who use and maintain their winch, not people who have only made a couple light pulls.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would this winch be decent??

Quadratec Exclusive 92122 2010 - Quadratec Q9000 Self Recovery Winch in Black - Quadratec
Old 11-22-2015, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used a winch, tree strap, snatch block and 30' recovery strap, shovel, high lift Jack and chain saw, this weekend to get a 2 door jeep off a rocky hill climb. He broke his transmission line on a stump. Make sure you carry all the recovery gear you can!
Old 11-22-2015, 09:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Personally I would do a minimum of 8000# for a 2 door and 10k for a 4 door. Synthetic line for safety and weight savings. Like Gjeep said educate yourself as they can be very dangerous if not used properly. A snatch block will double the pulling power as well but requires twice the line.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

I have a Zeon 10 S and its bailed a me out a few times. At the waterfall section of John Bull (if you're familiar with this section) I got high centered taking the left route and had to winch out. My Warn was maxed out. I didn't use a snatch like the others stated, but it kinda gives you an idea of what 10k lbs does for you. My JK is an unlimited with bumpers, sliders, and 35s so it's not as heavy as most heavily modded jeeps.

I've also used it when I got stuck wheeling alone. So reliability is really important.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

My 2 door weighs 5k pounds so I went with the Warn VR-10,000 with synthetic line

I also have two snatch blocks for gaining a mechanical advantage as well as pulling form a different angle

I went with Warn because 99.999% of the time the winch just sits there and the time you need it you don't want to wish you had gotten a better winch

Matthew
Old 11-22-2015, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of factors come in when buying and using a winch properly.
like others have said you want 1.5 to 2 time the weight of your rig
You DO NOT want to overload your winch drum with to much cable, for every wrap around the drum (1st layer) you need to subtract 10-15% of the winch rating to compensate for the cable around the drum. what i mean is if the winch is rated for 8K you only get that at the 1st layer at the drum, for every layer of rope you need to minus 10-15%.
Synthetic rope needs to be 2 time the rating of the winch.
Don't forget about your other tackle and be sure the ratings are within what you plan to use them for
Old 11-24-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look for winches Black Friday. Should be able to find a deal. I'd say warn is the top. But smittybilt isn't too far behind

Quick Reply: how to pick the right winch?