Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How much would it cost to change the exterior color of my Jeep

Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would it cost to change the exterior color of my Jeep

I was just wandering if anyone has ANY idea of a ballpark cost regarding painting the jeep a different color?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

I wonder if you could "wrap" it for a lesser amount and, if so, how good would it look up close. I know the yellow Lexus that they used on one of the last Top Gear shows wasn't yellow at all. The cast had wanted/planned on a yellow one but when it came time to shoot the story Toyota told them the car wasn't available. Seems the yellow one was the one Kyle Busch was busted doing 145 or whatever it was in a 35/45. The cast/crew wanted yellow so they had it wrapped and on tv you would have never have know it. I know up close may be a different story and scratches could pose a big problem but it still may be a cheaper solution.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Depends a lot on how you want to do it. Are you looking for just the exterior, or including hidden bits like the door frames or tha painted surfaces of the engine bay?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

A lot! There are many factors in that answer type of paint, prep needed etc. The easiest most basic base/clear I would say 3-5k if you are going to a reputable shop.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pretty cheap if you get a bunch of rattle cans and do your own camo
Old 09-20-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I manage a body shop and can tell you for a complete, high quality, exterior ONLY ie, no door jambs, underside of hood, etc, your looking at 5-6 grand minimum. Full OEM color change?? probably 10 grand or thereabouts. At least thats what I'd charge!!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW if you were that addiment on getting it painted I'd stop by some local dealers/shops and see if any of their painters do side work. Mine do, as do most. That way you'd pay for the paint/material (mabe 1000 bucks to 2 grand) and just pay the painter 1000 or whatever. Usually comes out pretty good and you can save on the labor.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was curious about this too. It's more than I thought...
Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, you have a black Jeep, so anything you don't paint is already you accent color That makes things like under the hood not as big of a deal. If you are handy and can disassemble a few parts, you could do a fairly good job in your garage or back yard. The main problem home-joes like us have is no spray booth. If you do an enamel non-metalic paint you can sand out most of the dust and the place where the bee got stuck. The major issue is that last coat of clear. I've seen some cool Jeeps that were bedlined - as an altenative. Also, Milspray sells military flat paints that are a pretty cool alternative for a Jeep and they would hide a good bit of imperfections. Their flat paints don't have the same "issues" that todays high end sports car flat paint jobs have regarding water spotting and the like. I suspect if I keep it, my Shara Tan will become Desert (flat) tan some day. Good luck with your project.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

there are some cheap paint deals, like I remember seeing ads for $500-1000 paint jobs. Stay away from these, the quality is awful and won't last very long either. Like others said, its pricey to get it done at a reputable shop.

Quick Reply: How much would it cost to change the exterior color of my Jeep