Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How much weight is too much?

Old 11-30-2016, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca
In heavy rock crawling you need low range gearing not more engine power. Proper gearing will give you way more torque than engine mods. You have a decent start towards proper gearing with a Rubicon transfer case at 4.1, now get your diffs regeared to 5.13 and you'll be fine on 37's and whatever weight you carry. If you need more torque than that for rock crawling, which you won't, get an atlas with an even lower low range. Now you will need more engine for a heavy JK doing mud and sand dunes, and of course cruising through the mountains on paved roads lol
Now this makes sense!!! I had a temporary brain fart. I have a bunch of things going on in my head right now, but failed to take gearing into account. Had I spent long enough (I just asked the question earlier) I MIT have thought of this. But THANKS all the same. So gearing is THAT important for torque too? I can easily suffer on the hwy, as long as I feel like the power is there when I need it on the rocks. I haven't done much gearing research... since I started out at 4:10. I haven't had to worry about it as much as others have.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cjnomo
So gearing is THAT important for torque too?
Let me rephrase... I always associated gearing with getting on the hwy at a decent speed. I guess that IS torque. But I failed to correlate torque (fwy get up) with torque (on the rocks). I guess I answered my own question and answer. Never mind!!!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am running the 3.5" game changer ARB, Synergy high steer.
When you get your game changer ARB edition installed, with the raised rear track bar, and your high steer installed with the raised front track bar, all you concerns of instability and frigile-ness will melt away.
Gearing will fix the weight, I'm running 5.13's with 35's. Keeps up with traffic just fine with leisure driving style, and if I pour on the coals it scoots rather well for what it is.
Weight, I'm running Poison Spyder bumpers with tire carrier and Warn winch, PS rock rails, body armor, full Synergy HD under armor... so pretty heavy rig. When loaded up for the trail with tools, recovery gear, food/beverages... the rig sits flat and solid at 3+" lift, ever so slightly nose high. Unloaded it sits as level as can be.
Photos are unloaded, with rear seat in, ~1/2 tank of gas.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110580.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	566.9 KB
ID:	661924
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110581.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	579.2 KB
ID:	661925
driveway is slightly sloped so, 3/4 photo shows it's level, profile phot makes it appear high in the rear, but it is not...
Old 12-01-2016, 06:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With 37s on a 3.6, you'll want to run 4.56 to 4.88 gears, with 4.88 probably being ideal.

Weight is like kryptonite for a JK front axle. If you haven't yet, you will want to truss and gusset the front axle. You'll eventually break the stock axle shafts, but those can be upgraded whenever you want, just make sure you have the right tools for a trail repair.

Most people feel that the brakes don't cut it with 37s, so you may want to keep that in mind as an upgrade.

With 37s, bent flanges on the rear axle is fairly common. Again, most people then upgrade to chromoly.

If you really are going to play in the rocks a lot, just get the Artec armor kit. That will also save your control arm brackets. Time to break out the welder.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info fellas. Hi-steer moved towards the top of my list... truss and c gussets added to the list.

Quick Reply: How much weight is too much?