Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How Much Weight Before Having To Level (Pic Attached)?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had it at the dealership this AM, and the service guy doesn't seem to think that it needs to be leveled. Yes, I will be adding a rear tire carrier & bumper...so I should probably wait.

When driving it, the bumper does register a bit on my "seat of the pants" meter, but one of the techs seems to think it dropped it about an inch...maybe. Unfortunately I forgot to measure before I started modding. I did snap a few pics, though with the bumper off, but that might not be to accurate to eye-ball.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have to level/lift it sooner than later. The stock springs will eventually start sagging, so opt for a leveling kit with new springs like the Teraflex Performance leveling kit or the Evo MFG one.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OME and AEV are also great choices for heavy vehicles. I would look Teraflex or Rock Krawler if crawling is your thing. One thing you didn't mention that I noticed immediately was the front diving when braking with the heavy front bumper.. My Jeep had 14 springs in the front and I added a winch at the same time.. So that might have made it much more noticeable....
Old 12-21-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the RR front with a Smitty winch and synthetic rope. I also have a Smitty XRC rear with tire carrier. It looks like I kept most of the original rake, maybe a little lower in the nose. I am definitely about an inch lower all around.

I have the TF performance leveling kit sitting in its box waiting for a full day, and hopefully a little help to put it on. I also have a spacer kit in the garage just in case.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

When you do level it use springs and not a spacer. The spacer will raise it but only temporarily. The stock springs will sag. You need a stiffer spring.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I had about an 1 1/2" drop when I installed my bumper and winch... I noticed it big time off road..
I lifted it using 4DR springs and got it all back plus the ~3" lift..
You will want to lift it if you do any off roading just due to the sag your front has now..

Looks good...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
You'll have to level/lift it sooner than later. The stock springs will eventually start sagging, so opt for a leveling kit with new springs like the Teraflex Performance leveling kit or the Evo MFG one.
Excellent points....will do exactly that.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
When you do level it use springs and not a spacer. The spacer will raise it but only temporarily. The stock springs will sag. You need a stiffer spring.
Good point...I didn't think of that....thanks guys...great advice.

Quick Reply: How Much Weight Before Having To Level (Pic Attached)?