Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How Much Weight Before Having To Level (Pic Attached)?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Weight Before Having To Level (Pic Attached)?

So, I just got done swapping off the OEM bumper and adding the Hyline unit. It's probably a good 90 pounds. I was really surprised when removing the OEM bumper that it wasn't much of a bumper at all moreso that a thin piece of metal covered with plastic. The new Hyline is a big boy.

So, how much weight can I add to the front before having to level it? I can feel the added weight, but am not sure yet if I need to have it leveled. You can get a feel for the height below. My garage is pretty level.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why just level it? LIFT IT!!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Well, I guess that leveling it is lifting it...basically.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

You should have done a measurement before and after. 90 lbs is definitely going to drop it some
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well JKs really need to be leveled straight out of the factory with their light bumpers. If you add a heavy front, then yes you definatly need to level it. Or you could just add a rear bumper, tire carrier and heavy 35" tire.... it should balance out.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will you also be adding a winch? Take a drive and try some moderate to hard braking and see if you are getting much frontend dive.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Trappistmonk
So, I just got done swapping off the OEM bumper and adding the Hyline unit. It's probably a good 90 pounds. I was really surprised when removing the OEM bumper that it wasn't much of a bumper at all moreso that a thin piece of metal covered with plastic. The new Hyline is a big boy.

So, how much weight can I add to the front before having to level it? I can feel the added weight, but am not sure yet if I need to have it leveled. You can get a feel for the height below. My garage is pretty level.

On a new 2011 2 door rubicon putting Rockhard full width bumper and 9.5 warn winch with stock suspension dropped my front 1"+, Lift it i would say
Old 12-21-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Well JKs really need to be leveled straight out of the factory with their light bumpers. If you add a heavy front, then yes you definatly need to level it. Or you could just add a rear bumper, tire carrier and heavy 35" tire.... it should balance out.
Max out the payload capacity and see how it sits. I'd rather have the rake when empty than have the ass sagging with the front wheel plowing when I have it loaded up.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPop
Max out the payload capacity and see how it sits. I'd rather have the rake when empty than have the ass sagging with the front wheel plowing when I have it loaded up.
Too much rake is unsafe. Better to be evenly over loaded than only over loaded on one end.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Junkie

I'd much rather be loose unloaded than tight loaded.

Quick Reply: How Much Weight Before Having To Level (Pic Attached)?