Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How much lift with stock Rubi edisco?

Old 11-19-2010, 04:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much lift with stock Rubi edisco?

Hi all!

I have a 2008 Rubicon JK. How much lift can I add before I need longer links for the electronic disconnects? Can I lift it 2 or 3" before I need longer links?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default What 4" springs for 2" of lift?

Hi all!

I have a 2008 Rubi JK. I have a shrockworx front bumper and winch. Post installation, the front was lowered, we needed 1.5" of front spacers to get close to stock height.

I would like to raise my jeep about 2". Now, if new springs compress the same as my rubi springs, that means I'd need 4" springs, 2" to make up for the heavier front end and then 2" of lift .....

1) Does anyone have any recomendations on springs that would get my set up about 2" lift?

2) Do I really need 4" longer springs, i.e. will lift srpings compress as much as the stock rubi springs?

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by none1
Hi all!

I have a 2008 Rubi JK. I have a shrockworx front bumper and winch. Post installation, the front was lowered, we needed 1.5" of front spacers to get close to stock height.

I would like to raise my jeep about 2". Now, if new springs compress the same as my rubi springs, that means I'd need 4" springs, 2" to make up for the heavier front end and then 2" of lift .....

1) Does anyone have any recomendations on springs that would get my set up about 2" lift?

2) Do I really need 4" longer springs, i.e. will lift srpings compress as much as the stock rubi springs?

Thanks!
I think most lift manufacturers factor in a little extra height in their kits, to make up for the added weight that most people are going to have (bumpers, winch, etc). It seems that quite a few people have reported more lift than is stated for their particular lift.
So, going with a 2" lift spring should get you where you want to be.

That being said: Go ahead and get longer links, whatever you decide to do about the lift. Either get longer links for the rear, and move your stock rears to the front; or, do what I did-get a set of adjustables for the front. I had to get longer links for mine after I twisted the driver's side front link while disco'ed on the trail. And that was with just a RC 2.5 BB and a 1" BL (I know, a BL has nothing to do with this issue).

Anthony
Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

While looking at lifts the other day (still can't decide which one for me), I noticed that Superlift had a new front link for their 4" kit when used on a Rubi with e-discos. One end of the link was designed to rotate to prevent the sway bar from binding, it was also a lillte longer than the stock rears that are normally swapped up front.

They must have had some reported problems to take the time to R&D a new link for the Rubi's

You can see them here:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16202_1005.htm
Old 11-19-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to lift then you have to get longer links. It is best to have the adjustable type to insure they are set correctly.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know about the OP question of how high you can go without changing the links, but I do know the consequence of going to high would be to spin the sway-bar on one side to the front when the wheel is drooped. I'm not sure this would be a major problem, but probably a pain in the ass.

Your second question though, when you get a new lift, most manufacturers will factor in the heavier bumpers and off-road gear in their lift design. As an example, my TeraFlex 3" lift has netted me almost 5" of lift because I still have stock bumpers. In their product info they suggest the 3" is where most people end up after heavier bumpers, winches, etc.

I'll jump on the bandwagon around here, and say that if you call Dave at Northridge4x4, he seems to be quick with his knowledgeable advice on lifts, springs, etc. even with aftermarket bumpers. You'll just have to decided if you want a full lift or just front springs/spacers.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Lots of threads floating around with pics of short (stock) links after flexing. They can cause the swaybar to flip around backwards, which turns the links into pretzels. Great pics. One guy posted that it happened on the lift at the shop!!

If you choose to keep short links, make sure you don't flex the suspension...

Quick Reply: How much lift with stock Rubi edisco?