Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How much lift before drive line mods

Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much lift before drive line mods

I have a 4 door with a 2.5 procomp spring lift and want to go higher i was thinking 1" body lift and 1 3/4 spacers in front and 1 inch in rear. What do you think will i need drive shaft mods? How high can i go without having to mess with anything. I would like to run is 38's with bushwacker fenders.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgw350
I have a 4 door with a 2.5 procomp spring lift and want to go higher i was thinking 1" body lift and 1 3/4 spacers in front and 1 inch in rear. What do you think will i need drive shaft mods? How high can i go without having to mess with anything. I would like to run is 38's with bushwacker fenders.
Assuming you have an auto, if you add the 1 3/4" spacer to the 2.5 lift, it's safe to assume you will need to replace your front DS. That is, if you disconnect and run off-road. I think you'll be fine with the rear DS with the 2.5" + 1"spacer(at least for quite awhile).....AND a body lift will NOT affect your driveshafts whatsoever.

Front- 2.5 coil w/ 1 3/4" spacer for a total of 4.25"
Rear- 2.5 coil w/ 1" spacer for a total of 3.5"

If you cut your fenders(or purchase aftermarket) and trim your pinch seem and sliders(if you got'em), you should be cleared for 38's with very little/no rub.

You obviously also need to make sure you have the correct backspacing on your wheels, have extended bumpstops, and extended brakelines.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:45 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kgw350
typically, on an auto and with anything more than a 2.5" lift and longer shocks to go with it, you'd want to get a new front drive shaft. as far as the rear goes, you should be fine being that you have a 4-door.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go off road, flex the suspension and you go 3 with 8" tires on the stock D30, you should also be concerned with the axle. You will need be aware of the driveline's limitations.

Quick Reply: How much lift before drive line mods