Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How much labor to TAKE OUT coil spacer?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much labor to TAKE OUT coil spacer?

I have a 1" coil spacer and it has completley screwed up the handling/geometry on my AEV 4.5" premium. Whats involved taking these spacers out? Is it a ton of labor?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Rent a spring compressor from an auto store and do it yourself?

Last edited by Tonka_yellow; 03-12-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

How skilled are you with tools? It can be a fairly easy job. I put my daystar spacers on my ram pickup in about 3 hours by myself with wrenches, floor jack, and jack stands. Just all depends on If you have the tools you need and are familiar enough. But it isn't a tough job.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's very easy to DIY. Jack the jeep up on the frame and set on jack stands. Using the jack, support the axle. Disconnect the track bar on one end, the sway bar links, and the shocks, and remove wheels. You may have to slightly raise the axle with the jack to get some of the bolts out. Once everything is disconnected, slowly lower the axle as far as needed to remove the springs. Use caution keeping an eye on the brake lines to make sure you don't put tension on them. The springs should come right out, remove your spacers, and reinstall. There's write up's on the project jk home page that have the torque specs.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highoctane
It's very easy to DIY. Jack the jeep up on the frame and set on jack stands. Using the jack, support the axle. Disconnect the track bar on one end, the sway bar links, and the shocks, and remove wheels. You may have to slightly raise the axle with the jack to get some of the bolts out. Once everything is disconnected, slowly lower the axle as far as needed to remove the springs. Use caution keeping an eye on the brake lines to make sure you don't put tension on them. The springs should come right out, remove your spacers, and reinstall. There's write up's on the project jk home page that have the torque specs.
I agreeall the above except removing the track bar. The axle will drop out enough by just disconnecting the shocks and sway nat links.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree all the above except removing the track bar. The axle will drop out enough by just disconnecting the shocks and sway bar links.

Good luck! Its easy, don't worry.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

If you don't want to do it I know a guy that just had spacers put in the front and they charged $75 labor. Me personally, I do everything possible to the jeep myself.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just so you know you'll need to loosen your control arms and trackbars, shake and bounce on your jk then re-torque all components. Your jeep will be at a new ride height and this should be done.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Just so you know you'll need to loosen your control arms and trackbars, shake and bounce on your jk then re-torque all components. Your jeep will be at a new ride height and this should be done.
Forgot that part. Def a must!

Quick Reply: How much labor to TAKE OUT coil spacer?