Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How much of a Difference do Front Lower Control Arms Make?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

still have a bunch of them .....

Sorry about the hijack ..

Please continue....
Old 12-29-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you measure the degree of the castor, can someone explain which is considered positive castor vs. negative castor?

Try to picture this in your head:
My magnetic degree finder is on the driver-front side. Looking at the needle, the spot is to the left of 0. Is this negative castor or positive castor?

Here is a picture from WOL's writeup. The difference is, my needle is on the bottom and, like I mentioned, is to the left of 0. Does this mean I'm running negative castor? (Sorry if this is confusing, I'll try to get my own picture).

I'm running a 4" lift. I just moved up from 33s to 35s and notice that its a little more darty than it was before. I'm currently running stock control arms. I'm going to check my castor again, but I want to make sure that I know what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance for understanding the question.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 AM
JK Freak

Looking at WOL's picture again, it looks like the measurement is being taken on the passenger side tire. (You can see the tie-rod end on the left side of the picture). So, I think that I'm reading mine correctly.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

They made a HUGE differance on my rig. It was night and day!!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Ok, sorry to post again, but I took a picture of my setup today. I took this picture on the drivers side. So, I think that I'm close, but by adding LCAs I'll be able to set more positive castor, as it appears that I'm currently at ~3*.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobzinger
Ok, sorry to post again, but I took a picture of my setup today. I took this picture on the drivers side. So, I think that I'm close, but by adding LCAs I'll be able to set more positive castor, as it appears that I'm currently at ~3*.

Yup, you're reading it right bobzinger. Good luck on your arms. I have some laying in the floor to put on when I get to them.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

A question to those with adjustable lower control arms...

I installed the adjustables yesterday. When I had it up in the air and was dialing them in, they measured at 7*. However, when I thought I was all finished and had put everything back together and put her on the ground, I checked the castor again. This time, she measured at 10*. So, now I have to go through his all over again to decrease the castor.

Does anyone know why that happened and what I need to take into account while she's in the air so that I can get it perfect?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

I'm thinking to have my Jk with TF 3 ". Do you have a good tire clearance? How much lift did you end up with?

About your question Joe from TF also reccomends rear upper adj arms.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bobzinger
A question to those with adjustable lower control arms...

I installed the adjustables yesterday. When I had it up in the air and was dialing them in, they measured at 7*. However, when I thought I was all finished and had put everything back together and put her on the ground, I checked the castor again. This time, she measured at 10*. So, now I have to go through his all over again to decrease the castor.

Does anyone know why that happened and what I need to take into account while she's in the air so that I can get it perfect?

Thanks for your help!
The castor has to be measured with the JK on the ground (weight on the suspension) to get an accurate measurement. Also, place your angle finder on the ground first to make sure the floor is level (0 degrees). If it's not, you need to find a level surface or subtract the angle difference to get the true castor measurement.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

I have the OME 2" lift on my 2dr. The steering felt way too responsive for my taste after I installed the lift. I just put a set of Rock Krawler adj LCAs on this afternoon and the difference is night and day. It's right back to stock in my opinion. I can move my steering wheel a few inches to the left and right quickly and not feel like I'm going to roll the jeep like I could before.

I followed RK's instructions and set the LCAs to 23.125 inches which is for their 3.5 inch lift.

I would definitely recommend you get a set.

[QUOTE=dajuicejml;1466934]I currently am running a Teraflex 3in suspension lift on my JK. I have the Tera shocks and the Tera Steering Stabilizer. I'm also running 35" Toyo Open Country A/T's in an automatic with 4:88's. This vehicle is primarily used as my daily driver. While I'm not complaining at all about the ride quality, I'm just curious as to weather or not I can make it even better. I asked Joe at Tera and he suggested I get the Front Lower Control Arms. I definitely trust his judgement, but just wanted to get some opinions from you guys with this setup on the ride quality and weather or not it would be an improvement for me.

Quick Reply: How much of a Difference do Front Lower Control Arms Make?