Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How much of a Difference do Front Lower Control Arms Make?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much of a Difference do Front Lower Control Arms Make?

I currently am running a Teraflex 3in suspension lift on my JK. I have the Tera shocks and the Tera Steering Stabilizer. I'm also running 35" Toyo Open Country A/T's in an automatic with 4:88's. This vehicle is primarily used as my daily driver. While I'm not complaining at all about the ride quality, I'm just curious as to weather or not I can make it even better. I asked Joe at Tera and he suggested I get the Front Lower Control Arms. I definitely trust his judgement, but just wanted to get some opinions from you guys with this setup on the ride quality and weather or not it would be an improvement for me.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big improvement, before I got mine, I didn't realize how bad it drove.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you running a Teraflex Kit?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The amount of lift is the issue, not which particular company made it. With the 3" TF coils, you went up somewhere over 4", right? So your caster is pretty low, causing flighty handling, bumpsteer, etc? How about hard braking on an uneven road surface? (I found that to be downright dangerous with a lift and stock arms...) Once I added adjustables, my handling went back to 'stock-like', and I actually felt comfortable using a single hand on the wheel again.

But, everyone has a different tolerance for what is acceptable. Think back to how it handled before the lift, then decide how good or bad you think the handling is currently.

Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?
A: Caster is the angle upon which your front axle sits at in order to help keep your Jeep driving straight. Positive caster, which is what you want, will cause your axle to sit in a way that your pinion shaft will be dipping ever so slightly towards the ground. Too little or even negative caster angle can cause your Jeep to wander and feel 'flighty' or 'darty' as I've heard some people call it. From the factory, your JK will have +4.2° of caster and if you lift it and install larger tires, you will need to increase this amount to help compensate for the modifications. At 3"-4" of lift, I have found that +6°~8° of caster will do wonders to help improve the handling of your Jeep JK Wrangler.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you mean *adjustable* front LCAs.

How did you adjust your Caster angle after the lift? Or did you?

The adjustable LCAs will not affect your ride quality, they will allow you to set your Caster angle higher so that your JK feels more stable (less drifty) on the highway.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by dajuicejml
Are you running a Teraflex Kit?
Now I'm running 4in tera springs. When I got the front lowers I was running 4in Superlift springs. I wasn't gonna use the cambolts, so I just saved up for arms. Alot more controlled feeling in the front.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinlock
I assume you mean *adjustable* front LCAs.

How did you adjust your Caster angle after the lift? Or did you?

The adjustable LCAs will not affect your ride quality, they will allow you to set your Caster angle higher so that your JK feels more stable (less drifty) on the highway.
I had the 4wd center do my install and gearing, so I'm not sure if/what they did to the caster. Are tera's lower front control arms adjustable?
Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by dajuicejml
I had the 4wd center do my install and gearing, so I'm not sure if/what they did to the caster. Are tera's lower front control arms adjustable?
They couldn't have done anything for castor unless they install cambolts or frt adj lowers or uppers. And yes the teras are adjustable.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Eh, Toad beatin me to the punch, that's new.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated....the ability to adjust caster via adjustable control arms gave me a hugh improvement in handling

Quick Reply: How much of a Difference do Front Lower Control Arms Make?