Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how much bumpstop do i need, please help

Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how much bumpstop do i need, please help

Hello I have a 2012 jkur with a 2.5" teraflex coil lift and 1 1/4" body lift, trimmed fenders and pinch seams. My plan is to run Bilstein shocks for a 3.5" or 4" or so to get a little extra droop. just would like to know what size bump stops I should get so I don't damage the new shocks. I have spring retainers for the front and rear so I don't lose a coil on the trail. I think the rear will be fine with the 2.5" bump stop just want to figure out how much to put in the front. Thank u
Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bob-o
Hello I have a 2012 jkur with a 2.5" teraflex coil lift and 1 1/4" body lift, trimmed fenders and pinch seams. My plan is to run Bilstein shocks for a 3.5" or 4" or so to get a little extra droop. just would like to know what size bump stops I should get so I don't damage the new shocks. I have spring retainers for the front and rear so I don't lose a coil on the trail. I think the rear will be fine with the 2.5" bump stop just want to figure out how much to put in the front. Thank u
I recently did a lift using a kit from one manufacturer and bumpstops from another. I first installed the shocks without any springs, then jacked the axles up and down to watch when the shocks bottom out and measure for the bump stop spacers. Then I installed the springs and the correct bump stop spacers. Didn't take much extra time and beat the hell out of guessing.

Two things to consider about the longer shocks: 1. They will need a tall bump stop spacer, which will shorten up the suspension travel. 2. They may extend long enough to allow the springs to pop out unless limit straps are installed - which means the normal 2.5" shock length might as well have been used, allowing a normal sized bump stop spacer to also be used, which means the suspension travel would be correct for the 2.5" spring.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Freewill

I recently did a lift using a kit from one manufacturer and bumpstops from another. I first installed the shocks without any springs, then jacked the axles up and down to watch when the shocks bottom out and measure for the bump stop spacers. Then I installed the springs and the correct bump stop spacers. Didn't take much extra time and beat the hell out of guessing.

Two things to consider about the longer shocks: 1. They will need a tall bump stop spacer, which will shorten up the suspension travel. 2. They may extend long enough to allow the springs to pop out unless limit straps are installed - which means the normal 2.5" shock length might as well have been used, allowing a normal sized bump stop spacer to also be used, which means the suspension travel would be correct for the 2.5" spring.
Thank u, the shocks recommended for the 2.5" lift front- compressed 14.98" ext 24.63" and I have 2.5" shock extensions on my rubi shocks, the shocks recommended for a 4" lift is front 16.41" ext 27.56". So I was wondering if I need a 1.5" bumpstop in the front so the shocks don't fully compress. And I have spring retainers so my coils shouldn't fall out. What do u think
Old 08-31-2012, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bob-o
Thank u, the shocks recommended for the 2.5" lift front- compressed 14.98" ext 24.63" and I have 2.5" shock extensions on my rubi shocks, the shocks recommended for a 4" lift is front 16.41" ext 27.56". So I was wondering if I need a 1.5" bumpstop in the front so the shocks don't fully compress. And I have spring retainers so my coils shouldn't fall out. What do u think
The 16.41" shock is around 1.5" too long for a 2.5" spring, so either the bumpstop should be 1.5" taller or the existing bump stop should land on a bump stop spacer on the axle that is 1.5" taller than what is now there. That does not leave much "up travel" for the axle but should keep the shock from bottoming out. Still good to check it all out without springs if possible.

IMHO, limit straps that will keep 2.5" springs in place may not let the axle droop much farther than the normal shocks for a 2.5" lift would, yet the upward travel of the suspension will be 1.5" shorter because of the longer shocks. Unless the limit strap allows the axle to drop at least 1.5" lower than the short shock would, there is more to be lost than gained. Even if more droop is gained, the suspension is going to bottom out very easy with 1.5" of upward travel missing. Just sayin' . . .
Old 08-31-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ever size bumpstops you may need, JKS has you covered. These are adjustable to 6 different lengths.

JKS Manufacturing: Coil Spring Suspension
Old 08-31-2012, 10:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BONDSY
What ever size bumpstops you may need, JKS has you covered. These are adjustable to 6 different lengths.

JKS Manufacturing: Coil Spring Suspension
Cool thanks a lot. I appreciate it

Quick Reply: how much bumpstop do i need, please help