Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to minimize chance of death wobble with new lift?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i recall correctly, stock ball joints tend to go at about 40k miles. Have you checked your trackbar and control arm bolts to make sure theyre properly torqued?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D_engel
If i recall correctly, stock ball joints tend to go at about 40k miles. Have you checked your trackbar and control arm bolts to make sure theyre properly torqued?
Not yet but I will probaly look at it more closely tomorrow
Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

That's great, but a SS does not cause or fix death wobble. It will cover it up leaving a serious problem unresolved.[/QUOTE]

Is the SS is just covering the DW problem what can i do to see if its still occurring? Pull the SS and drive it to see if it happens?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

I just went through this same thing about two months ago. I bought a used 07 JK with 18,000 miles. Two days after owning it I hit a bump at 65MPH and experienced DW. Dealer wanted to change SS. Went staright out and hit the first bump I could find and DW again. Took back to Dealer. My Draglink was broke. Replaced it. Went for another bump at around 55MPH. Tore the SS bracket off the axle. Dealer repaired that, replaced drag link and SS again but insisted everything was tight. Took jeep to a shop and had them replace all balljoints with MOOG joints. I have not had a problem since. I read so many threads on DW my head hurt. The problem is that everyones DW could be casued by something different but never a bad SS. I my case it was ball joints but others have loose control arms or track bars. Additionally, on my jeep, I had a 3" lift but it was aligned to the factory alignment. I understand that can potentially cause problems too. The tire shop tried to get me to purchase a dual SS. I knew better because of this board.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 09jaykay

Is the SS is just covering the DW problem what can i do to see if its still occurring? Pull the SS and drive it to see if it happens?
Yes. A SS is not a necessary item. It's purpose is to smooth out little variations of the road. If your suspension is tuned in and working properly you don't need one. Figure out what is wrong without using the SS then when it is fixed the SS will help smooth things out a little more.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
Yes. A SS is not a necessary item. It's purpose is to smooth out little variations of the road. If your suspension is tuned in and working properly you don't need one. Figure out what is wrong without using the SS then when it is fixed the SS will help smooth things out a little more.
Ill try this sometime this week hopefully a DW won't happen.Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the advice given by Planman in post #19 is followed and you still have death wobble, then it's obvious that the Jeep gods have cursed you. You should immediately sell your Jeep to me for the price of $1, and buy a Kia.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Cool

I am also experiencing DW on my stock Jk Unlimited but mine seems to be coming from the right wheel. Any suggestions, already replaced SS (didn't work). Hopefully it's a balancing issue. How much does it cost to replace ball joints? Need to figure this out before the lift goes on.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman

Have you read my post and watched the video on the 1st page of this thread?
Yes I have this helped a lot, but after seeing that list of potential parts that could be broken as a result of multible occurences has me worried because its been happening on and off for three months

Quick Reply: How to minimize chance of death wobble with new lift?