Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How many Rotopax's on the spare tire mount?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many Rotopax's on the spare tire mount?

am looking for an easy and less expensive solution in carrying some extra gas. I ran across these Rotopax mounting bracket that attaches to the spare tire. RotopaX Mounting Bracket Solutions | Tire Mount I was thinking of mounting two 3-gallon tanks to this set up. Anyone have any experience in doing so? I did not find any warnings about how much weight can be supported by this mount.

Any one carry these inside your Jeep? I am very reluctant to do so and would prefer to keep the gas outside. Probably carry one 2-gallon water inside the cabin.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're talking about the oem carrier, I'd say its no a good idea unless you don't run a spare tire. Between the mounts, cans, and gas, that's an extra 50lbs or so hanging on your tailgate. I've seen them buckle from putting a heavy 35" tire on there.

Last edited by dcharge74; 06-14-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

I have just ordered the exact thing you described, 2x 3 gallon rotopax containers with the spare tire mount. I did order the Teraflex hinge as well, however.

I can let you know it works once everything gets here.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Vector spare tire rotopax mount that will hold 4 each 3 gal cans. I only carry 2 each 3 gal with no problems.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Scramblin_Jim
am looking for an easy and less expensive solution in carrying some extra gas. I ran across these Rotopax mounting bracket that attaches to the spare tire. RotopaX Mounting Bracket Solutions | Tire Mount I was thinking of mounting two 3-gallon tanks to this set up. Anyone have any experience in doing so? I did not find any warnings about how much weight can be supported by this mount.

Any one carry these inside your Jeep? I am very reluctant to do so and would prefer to keep the gas outside. Probably carry one 2-gallon water inside the cabin.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I carry two 1 gallon Rotapax cans on a mount that straps around the spare tire. This is my limit. With this setup, the added weight is near the centerline of the spare tire tread, so the leverage is a lot less that the type of mount that sticks out the back beyond the wheel lugs.

There's a weight limit in the owners manual for the tire mount, and it isn't much beyond the weight of a spare tire itself. Vibration and shock load from washboard roads and pot holes add a lot of force.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

I just got everything in, I must say the Teraflex hinge is nice! Easy to install as well, took me maybe 45 min.

Having never had the spare tire off, the mount that Rotopax sells that comes out the middle of the spare is MUCH too long, like 8" or so (just a guess). I'm going to have to cut it and re drill the pin holes. The stock carrier sticks out past the tailgate quite a bit (it kinda fits inside of the spare), and the length of the rotopax carrier is simply much too long.

[EDIT] Upon looking again at my rotopax carrier, I don't believe that I got the actual rotopax version. Mine will only collapse to ~11" smallest length. The rotopax one on thier site states 4" is the minimum. After measuring it with a tape, it looks like that's the perfect length required. I didn't order through Rotopax, I bought from a local vendor. I would have confidence that the actual rotopax version would work fine.

Last edited by Lowestform; 06-18-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowestform
I just got everything in, I must say the Teraflex hinge is nice! Easy to install as well, took me maybe 45 min.

Having never had the spare tire off, the mount that Rotopax sells that comes out the middle of the spare is MUCH too long, like 8" or so (just a guess). I'm going to have to cut it and re drill the pin holes. The stock carrier sticks out past the tailgate quite a bit (it kinda fits inside of the spare), and the length of the rotopax carrier is simply much too long.

[EDIT] Upon looking again at my rotopax carrier, I don't believe that I got the actual rotopax version. Mine will only collapse to ~11" smallest length. The rotopax one on thier site states 4" is the minimum. After measuring it with a tape, it looks like that's the perfect length required. I didn't order through Rotopax, I bought from a local vendor. I would have confidence that the actual rotopax version would work fine.
I had the same problem. I think the mount is Olympic or something like that. One of my few regrets of purchase. I tried to cut that down as short as I could and have it still work but it angles up instead of straight out. So it looks ridiculous. Going to find another way of mounting the cans.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2 gallon gas and a 1 gallon water RotoPaX on my Tire carrier. Its all on the stock setup I'v had it on since I had 200 miles on it. I'v wheeled it no problems. The First one they sent me was not even level. I called them they sent me another one no charge. they have great customer service.

Here are a Few pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JK-TJ.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	469486   Click image for larger version

Name:	BigSmall.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	469487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Campsite.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	469489   Click image for larger version

Name:	GetSomeAss.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	469490   Click image for larger version

Name:	RotopaxOfflevel.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	469492  

Old 06-18-2013, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a couple more pics up close.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Backside.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	469496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fullback.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	469498  

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 06-18-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RoysRig
I had the same problem. I think the mount is Olympic or something like that. One of my few regrets of purchase. I tried to cut that down as short as I could and have it still work but it angles up instead of straight out. So it looks ridiculous. Going to find another way of mounting the cans.
I'm a welder/millwright, I'll make it work. I just wish I didn't have to make it work, know what I mean?

I would strongly suggest simply buying the Rotopax version, however, to now have to do this.

Quick Reply: How many Rotopax's on the spare tire mount?