Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how many people switch tires for wheelin?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:38 PM
pjk
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire swap

Originally Posted by shredX
Make sure you like the rims with the bigger tires. I had two sets in the past. Swapped two, maybe three, times. The stree tires never made it back on the jeep. Street driving with MT's is not that bad.
this is probably what will really happen. thanks shredx.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 PM
pjk
JK Enthusiast

Default tire swap

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
I wheel way too often to be swapping tires!
unfortuneately i don't get the time to wheel that much. with three kids under 5 and another on the way i am lucky to get at all. i go for quality wheelin over quantity
Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

Im to lazy to switch tires
Old 11-09-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought about slappin some Duratracs on the stock wheels for winter driving here in Ohio, and I still may, but overall I just like the look of the MTR's too much to put something else on there. The new Kevlar MTR's have good road manners, but damn does my gas mileage suck and highway driving leaves a little to be desired.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenmachine07
the lower the gear you install the deeper crawl ratio you end up with.
Taking the t case and gears and output theres a formula to figure this out.
you would have to rev the hell outta then engine on steep climbs and other tall obstacles offroad
He wont have to rev the hell outta the engine, but he will be going faster then desired. For instance when going down some rocks I have killed my engine (manual) because I want to go slower then my gears allow. When going over rocks the higher gears will force him to move faster, thus giving him less control and less traction from the lack of control.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by guinnessisgood
He wont have to rev the hell outta the engine, but he will be going faster then desired. For instance when going down some rocks I have killed my engine (manual) because I want to go slower then my gears allow. When going over rocks the higher gears will force him to move faster, thus giving him less control and less traction from the lack of control.
I agree, but I don't think this outways the benefits of a regear for road driving...

Quick Reply: how many people switch tires for wheelin?