Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How many items can you run on one battery?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many items can you run on one battery?

SO I just ordered some new windshield mounts and long range lights for my JK. I started thinking I might need a second battery for my jeep since I already have fog lights, and a amp running to the battery in addition to all the normal stress the rest of the vehicle gives it. Does any one run a second battery or am I ok to just have one?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default LEDSs?

Have you ever thought about LEDs the draw alot less power
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gusto2465
SO I just ordered some new windshield mounts and long range lights for my JK. I started thinking I might need a second battery for my jeep since I already have fog lights, and a amp running to the battery in addition to all the normal stress the rest of the vehicle gives it. Does any one run a second battery or am I ok to just have one?
What you really want is a larger capacity main battery. The second battery would be for auxiliary stuff to run when the engine is off. (electrical nerds, correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

More importantly are you running these all together all the time? I have the same setup - fog's, Upgraded HID Headlights and Windshield mounted PIAA long distance lights. I have no need for a second battery. I also do not run them all at the same time. I don't bother with the long distance lights while driving with my HID's on, the high beams are nearly as bright just not the same color. They work better in off-road conditions with the added heights. I have it wired up so that the windshield lights can be turned off/on independently of the headlights/fogs by using an inline splice to the aux. power outlet.

If those are the 3 items you are worried about then i highly doubt you will need a second battery for it.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First suggestion if you're concerned is replacing the stock battery with a deep cycle Optima Yellow Top or Odyssey battery. Plenty here run Dual Battery Trays (Benchmark, MORE, RR etc), they're highly recommended together with the isolator to always provide you juice.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you are talking about running things with the engine off, your battery does not power anything - its all running off the alternator.

The only exception is when you run something so big that the alternator can't provide enough power. About the only accessories that demand that much power are a winch or enough non-LED lighting to fill a football field.

Dual batteries are a good plan with a winch, but they only make a difference when winching. The rest of the time all power comes from the alternator.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

A single deep cycle battery should handle what you plan on running fine
Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Upgrade your alternator if you're concerned.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for answering my question. all the feedback helped.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sonix
Upgrade your alternator if you're concerned.
X2 that what I would do first but it's not cheap though... Like 450$$ for a more powerful alternator

Quick Reply: How many items can you run on one battery?