Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How many have an in-line fuse for your winch?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewill
Anyway, this thing with chafing and hot spots is an odd concept. The danger is because a 20 amp load CAN'T destroy a 250 amp circuit. If the 20 (or whatever) amp fault is the result of a pinched or chafed spot that maybe gets a little wet, it starts producing heat. The 250 amp fuse won't blow yet so the chafed spot just keeps producing heat. By the time the fault gets bad enough to pop the big fuse there will already be a lot of heat, so if something flamable is nearby then hello fire! Like a sudden catastrophic circuit failure, these slow burns don't happen very often but they do happen.
Aggread. Possible. But only 1 in 1,000,000,000. The nature of a chafe is that it always rubbs. Therefore contact is inevitable. In this case, water isnt. The result = low resistance groundfault.

Originally Posted by Freewill
This is similar to someone in their house plugging an 18ga extension cord into a 20 amp branch circuit and then plugging a big electric heater into the extension cord. The extension cord can get hot enough to start a fire before the insulation melts through and creates a short that pops the breaker. The heat is from undersized conductors rather than chafing, but the fire starts before the fuse/breaker pops in both cases. They rarely include these details in the newspaper.
Yes similar. But not realy a comparison. Only properly "designed and installed" circuits.

But, again, nothing is foolproof. Folks, inspect your wiring in your rig, your house, your shop. If it looks bad it probably is. Fire sux!
This is a good idea. But not very practical. The key is proper design, proper instalation and proper use. I have heald in my own hands conductors that were installed in the 1940's in locations unseen and untouched by human hands. Untill the day that I replaced them with modern wiring. And , for the most part, they were still safe to be used.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 11-17-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a 500ANL fuse, a in cab winch control with a off switch and a quick disconnect on positive and negative winch cables at the battery. Did I forget anything?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by candp
I use a 500ANL fuse, a in cab winch control with a off switch and a quick disconnect on positive and negative winch cables at the battery. Did I forget anything?
Do you know how many amps a 500 ANL fuse is rated for before it melts? Hint: Over 700 amps for more than 1 minute...
Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Since I have discos and a interior switch, does it matter? And if it does what amperage rating should I be using?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Since I have discos and a interior switch, does it matter? And if it does what amperage rating should I be using?
I'm thinking that a fuse that won't melt at 700 amps won't give you much protection - depending on what your winch draws. What's the max amperage your winch is supposed to draw? For example, the maximum my winch is supposed to draw is 416 amps. A 250 amp ANL fuse should blow somewhere around 450 amps after 30 seconds or so.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it does. Every system should be fused. Actually, depending on how you look at it, everyone already has a fuse. It's the wire that runs from the battery to the winch motor. The wire works the same way as a fuse. Only thing is, bad things happen when it melts. So you get to choose what type of fuse that you like best.
For choosing size? I know that setting up and installing a 500 amp circuit in a jeep is a little ridiculous. So choose the biggest cable that you can afford to work with. Select a fuse / circuit breaker that will keep the wire from doing the job instead. And, if you can find it, make it a time delay device to handle the higher currents when needed.

Quick Reply: How many have an in-line fuse for your winch?