Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How many have an in-line fuse for your winch?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
okay i'll break it down simple like...

if you installed your winch properly, the only circuit to worry about is the winch circuit. your pos and neg should run directly off the battery.
so if your winch isn't turned on, the cicuit is broken. just like having a switch installed. does the same thing. line has no draw and no risk. no worries getting into accidents.
and finally when the circuit is up (in use) then you have line draw and is the only time you are at risk. how often is that? .0001% of the time for most jeepers
there isn't any real potential if the wires go bad and cause arch or build up that could cause damage to other componants of the jeep because they all have fuses already in line that will protect them. (notice fuse box on passenger side of engine bay) so the only real risk is you might burn out your winch, and that my friends i highly doubt will ever happen. most winches can handle more power than your lil 12v battery can toss at it.

so i ask again has anyone ever had a winch related electrical fire? thats right, no one has the odds r better that you'll win the lotto
It would be well worth your time to do a little more research. The OEM fuses have nothing to do with your winch. Automotive winches reguire either a 12 volt or 24 volt systems. The risk you take when opperating these systems without a fuse could mean the end of your Jeep. And that little 12 volt battery packs a lot more power than you think. Have you ever seen an automobile fire from someone jumping a vehicle the wrong way.

Originally Posted by OzzyPotter

Is there a fuse in-line with the starter motor from the battery?

Mine does

Attachment 229617
OK. I'll take your word for it. And learned something new today.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Junkie

fuse will not neccesarrally ensure that you will not have a fire
Yes it will.

the manufactures don't think you need a fuse and anyone who understands car wirring would agree. an inline switch (solenoid in this case) is more than enuff
Show me where it says "No fuse required"
Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. This thread has turned into a cluster fuck..
Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyPotter

Is there a fuse in-line with the starter motor from the battery?

Mine does

Attachment 229617
That's not a fuse for the starter. It's for the starter solenoid control; different circuit.

The JK (and most other vehicles) don't have a fuse for the starter. Probably because the wire goes from the battery directly down to the starter. Not much chance of a short to anything.

Originally Posted by scotty6336
Wow. This thread has turned into a cluster fuck..
It has rendered itself down to the point that no minds will be changed. Everyone thinks their own opinion is correct.
This is where further posting is pointless. (Well, after this post, of course!)

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-28-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

Surface mount battery switches up to 600 amps. My 12k winch has a max amp load of 360 amps @ 12k lbs therefore I got the switch that would handle up to 350 amps.

http ://bluesea.com/category/78/1
Old 10-28-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done a number of high powered audio setups in the past and know what can easily happen with large hot lines (melted a few 0awg wires together or to the frame in the past). My plan is to use a 300+ amp switch (large ignition type from summit or those blue sea ones above) right next to the battery then a hefty inline fuse between the switch and the winch. 0 need to take any risks.

Last edited by hombredelassrtas; 10-28-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
T
It has rendered itself down to the point that no minds will be changed. Everyone thinks their own opinion is correct.
This is where further posting is pointless. (Well, after this post, of course!)
Glad you brought that up Ron. You know the ole sayin. "Opinnions' are like _______. Everyone has one". But in this case. It's kind like eatting chilli peppers. You can get burned!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goaterguy
Surface mount battery switches up to 600 amps. My 12k winch has a max amp load of 360 amps @ 12k lbs therefore I got the switch that would handle up to 350 amps.

http ://bluesea.com/category/78/1
Thanks for the link. I also found this one while doing another search last night. It doesn't give the Continuous Amp Rating but has a surge rating of 5000 Amp's (probably only for 5 or 10 seconds though, doesn’t say). It appears to be a little bit smaller so it would be easier to mount. I would probably give them a call to find out the Continuous Amp Rating first though.

How big is the one you got?

h ttp://www.drillspot.com/products/1478538/Battery_Doctor_20257_Fixed_Handle_Battery_Isolator _Switch?s=1
Old 10-28-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Holy cluster F,! Nobody here gets the circuit breaker thing. Good luck to those fused or without any protection or who dont know what a soloenoid does. Sure, just an opinion..lol

Last edited by ShakyJake; 10-28-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Opinions aside, I still would like to know if I can install a fuse.

I read this:
http: //www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm

It mentions that to protect a 2 awg cable you need a fuse with a maximum of 200 amps. and at a draw of 400 amps (200%) the fuse would last only 5 minutes.

So, how can you properly protect the wire without burning the fuse every 5 minutes?

Quick Reply: How many have an in-line fuse for your winch?