Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How many have an in-line fuse for your winch?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious too..what kind of switch have you guys installed?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a post (post 41) of a winch fire.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ight=2010+fire

I have a Warn power interrupt kit on my jeep and winch, but I think about adding a fuse all the time. Part of the reason I haven't is that it would be more messier under the hood. The cleaner it is the easier it is for me to inspect for wear.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not convinced a fuse would have helped in the linked case (looks like the metal grille is shorting on the terminal).

I have a Warn relay on my rear winch, but they are not rated for more than 150 Amps, so not sure if they would hold up under full current draw (I've not tested the rear winch at full draw).

I stand by my previous post - use a cut-off switch, not a fuse. (Externally mountable switches exist in the racing world. Some have a separate key, some do not.) I ordered a cut-off switch for under the hood today so the winch is not energized while on-road.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses.

My first thought was a cut off switch but I wasn’t able to find one that had a high enough current rating. According to Warn, the M8000 can pull 435 Amps at max load. The largest cut of switch I could find was rated at 300 Amps. That is less than the winch pulling a 6K load (350 Amps) again according to the spec sheet on the Warn web site. What kind of cut off switch did you guys use and what is the current rating?

Like a few have stated in other posts. I am more worried about the positive lead rubbing on something and shorting out or something happening in case of an accident. I put both leads going from the winch in an additional cord protector and tried to make sure that there were no sharp edges they could come in contact with but you know what they say “shit happens”. When I was doing another web search last night I decided to look at ANL fuses and was wondering if anyone had used them. A 500 Amp fuse isn’t ideal but I figure it’s better than nothing.

If the cut off switch you guys are using is rated high enough I would much rather go that route.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
if im wrong lets see a show of hands who have had a winch related fire? thats right nobody has
I'm pretty sure someone on WOL's recent Fordyce run had a winch fire.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM
JK Freak

When running a power cable inside the cabin to power amplifiers, rule #1 is to install an inline fuse on the cable a few inches from the battery terminal. I don't see why the same rule shouldn't be followed for powering a winch? Get a fuse at max amp rating of the winch. If someone thinks the wire will melt before the fuse will, well, then get a bigger, proper wire for the job, as the winch itself will melt it happily for you. At the very least have the power cable disconnected when not in use. Otherwise this can all end in tears one day.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Been thinking about this since I posted here earlier. This is what I come up with:

If you really figure a fuse or disconnect is needed for the winch, then you better put one on the starter motor cable as well. And don't forget the alternator cable. They also use heavy unfused cable, run amps by the hundred, and live in the engine compartment. (Actually some alternator cables may have a fuse.)

But seriously, good wiring practice when installing the winch and frequent inspections are worth more piece of mind than a 500 amp fuse.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

okay - no fuse is neccesarry unless you have the solenoid powered up all the time. since most of us dont even connect our solenoid untill we use it, a fuse is just a waste of time and effort. secondly most winches are grounded seperate from the battery. this prevents surges and reduces possible damage. the manufactures do NOT provide a fuss because they expect you to not hardwire the solenoid. if you hardwire then okay get a fuss, but if not dont worry your prob still using ur stock battery anyways and you wont have enuff power to fry anything. if im wrong lets see a show of hands who have had a winch related fire? thats right nobody has
You have completly missed the point. When no power is connected (to the battery ), then you might as well have a brick on the bumper of your Jeep. Why don't you just leave the winch at home in the garage. It would actualy be safer there than ridding around on your bumper. But the very second that you connect that positive lead to the battery ( even if the winch is still disconnected @ the winch itself ), you have the possibility for a fault on that wire. And because the circuit is designed to carry a larger load anyway, you could have a "larger than life" problem.

Originally Posted by Freewill
Been thinking about this since I posted here earlier. This is what I come up with:

If you really figure a fuse or disconnect is needed for the winch, then you better put one on the starter motor cable as well. And don't forget the alternator cable. They also use heavy unfused cable, run amps by the hundred, and live in the engine compartment. (Actually some alternator cables may have a fuse.)

But seriously, good wiring practice when installing the winch and frequent inspections are worth more piece of mind than a 500 amp fuse.
You should definaetly reconsider. I believe that some automotive manufacturers have put fuses on the starter systems in the past. And it may be possible that your charging system has some sort of internal fail-safe device. The alternator does have an electronics package that monitors the characteristics of the charge. For those of you that are still not convinced. This is fair warning! In the event of an emergency, a fuse WILL protect your Jeep. A switch will only protect your Jeep after the problem has occured. And only if you can get to the switch fast enough to turn it off. A fuse ( in the event of an emergency ) will disconnect power instantaneously. And with reliability. Electrical systems and power distribution systems do not design themselves. Nor do they install themselves. Liability is on the installer. So if you feal safe without a safety device, then good luck to you my friend. I would rather not have a winch at all. Than have it installed without a fuse.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 10-27-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
I would rather not have a winch at all. Than have it installed without a fuse.
Strong words, and yet I know of no winch manufacturer that includes a fuse kit with a winch. Do any even recommend installing one in their directions?

If a fuse is not included/recommended, and is needed, then wouldn't they be opening themselves up to a lot of liability?

I'm in the camp that thinks its a good idea, but haven't done it. I am leaning towards a cut off switch to only have power to the winch Offroad. My main concern is a front end collision on road resulting in an instant short, something a cut off switch at the battery would prevent.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Strong words, and yet I know of no winch manufacturer that includes a fuse kit with a winch. Do any even recommend installing one in their directions?

If a fuse is not included/recommended, and is needed, then wouldn't they be opening themselves up to a lot of liability?
Liability for the instalation is in the hands of the installer. Not the manufacturer.

I'm in the camp that thinks its a good idea, but haven't done it. I am leaning towards a cut off switch to only have power to the winch Offroad. My main concern is a front end collision on road resulting in an instant short, something a cut off switch at the battery would prevent.
The fuse is to protect the circuit during opperation. It doesnt matter if you are in the city. In the woods. Or on the moon. What are you going to do if you have a head on colision with a tree. Or a rock.

Edit: I like your quote in your sig. "Take Heed" my friend.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 10-27-2011 at 02:15 AM.

Quick Reply: How many have an in-line fuse for your winch?