Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How many have an in-line fuse for your winch?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many have an in-line fuse for your winch?

Just wondering how many of you have an in line fuse on you positive winch cable? I have been debating on whether to put a fuse or not. I know the instructions do not call out for a fuse. I'm just wondering how may have done this and find out if you have had any problems blowing fuses because of momentary current spikes.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have.

But I probably should have.

subscribed.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This should read: "How many should have used a fuse and didn't." There should not be a debate on if you should use a fuse or not. The only question should be: "Should I use a resetable fuse. Or a one-time fuse?"
Old 10-26-2011, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yankee
I don't have.

But I probably should have.

subscribed.
X2...And the other day for some mysterious reason my winch wouldnt work. Searched everywhere for a fuse lol, couldnt remember putting one in or not.

Seems strange such a high current draw to be not fused
Old 10-26-2011, 04:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
This should read: "How many should have used a fuse and didn't." There should not be a debate on if you should use a fuse or not. The only question should be: "Should I use a resetable fuse. Or a one-time fuse?"
I don't know about this. Just did some searching, came across some good points. First you'd need a 400+amp fuse. That'd be HUGE. and expensive.

Something used as intermittently (sp?) as a winch will likely not have any problems. That'd be why I've never heard of any issues with them causing any type of "vehicle meltdown"

I'm leaving mine alone, never had a problem so far.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotty6336
I don't know about this. Just did some searching, came across some good points. First you'd need a 400+amp fuse. That'd be HUGE. and expensive.

Something used as intermittently (sp?) as a winch will likely not have any problems. That'd be why I've never heard of any issues with them causing any type of "vehicle meltdown"

I have a 500 amp fuse on mine. Bought it at the link below for less than $15.00. Very cheap insurance if you ask me. Most likely you would never have a problem unless the positive cable on the winch would ground out to the frame somehow.

vtewarehouse.com/content/electromech/fuse/html/anl/anlfuse.php

Last edited by Sharkey; 10-26-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: No links to non-sponsors please
Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rubicon09
I have a 500 amp fuse on mine. Bought it at the link below for less than $15.00. Very cheap insurance if you ask me. Most likely you would never have a problem unless the positive cable on the winch would ground out to the frame somehow.

vtewarehouse.com/content/electromech/fuse/html/anl/anlfuse.php
Huh..Good idea, never heard of this. Any issues with long pulls? As in the fuse popping?

Last edited by Sharkey; 10-26-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Removed link in quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Huh..Good idea, never heard of this. Any issues with long pulls? As in the fuse popping?
I actually just put the winch on. Haven't even used it yet. I did order a second 500 amp fuse to keep as a spare and left enough extra cable to hook the winch directly to the battery if I had to.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

A fuse protects against a direct short somewhere between the battery and the winch.
That is unrelated to how often the winch is used.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
A fuse protects against a direct short somewhere between the battery and the winch.
That is unrelated to how often the winch is used.
Yes and no. A fuse can also protect against an overload, or in very basic terms, heat..I've blown a fuse or two running my stereo for long periods of time, and it had nothing to do with a short.

Quick Reply: How many have an in-line fuse for your winch?