Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to install the RRC Side Armor

Old 02-13-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install the RRC Side Armor

I have a question about the RRC Side Armor

Look at the instruction: http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/93738.pdf

At the Step #5 The big nut has been tightened, but the big washer doesn't touch the side armor, there is a space of about 1/4 inch.
Did I make something wrong?!?!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, it is held on by the 2 smaller ones that are out board
the center one holds the body on the Jeep, the washer should not touch the rails, it will squeak
Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Be glad that you have the newer version of the side armor. I have their "1st generation" version/experiment. Mine squeaked extremely loud. First, they said to "wait it out" and the squeaking would go away. That didn't work. Then, They sent me more washers that were supposed to solve the squeaking. All they did was throw an extra coating on them (the equivalent of dipping them in something similar to the plastic coat you dip hand tools into). The squeaking started back up not even 2 weeks later. Then, they had the nerve to tell me "well, we understand your situation. You can take off the washers (for a 3rd time), grind them down, and reinstall."
Also, I can't tighten one of the 16mm rear nuts because they put it too close to the circular part of their product, and one of my bolts broke off as I was tightening it with a torque wrench to the specs in the instructions. It happens to be the other rear bolt on that side. I told them this too with no response. During this entire time, they knew that their product was defective, and they kept selling them. I honestly want to rip the things off and pawn them on craig's list, but I can't do that to another person.
Because of their refusal to take responsibility, I refuse to buy any of their products. It's a shame, because I like the look of their bumpers too. There are three other jeepers where I work. After they saw what I went through, they decided not to buy their products either. Sorry for the rant, but I don't take too kindly to a company that burned me (and no doubt others) with such a clear conscious.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Lil Smokie
Be glad that you have the newer version of the side armor. I have their "1st generation" version/experiment. Mine squeaked extremely loud. First, they said to "wait it out" and the squeaking would go away. That didn't work. Then, They sent me more washers that were supposed to solve the squeaking. All they did was throw an extra coating on them (the equivalent of dipping them in something similar to the plastic coat you dip hand tools into). The squeaking started back up not even 2 weeks later. Then, they had the nerve to tell me "well, we understand your situation. You can take off the washers (for a 3rd time), grind them down, and reinstall."
Also, I can't tighten one of the 16mm rear nuts because they put it too close to the circular part of their product, and one of my bolts broke off as I was tightening it with a torque wrench to the specs in the instructions. It happens to be the other rear bolt on that side. I told them this too with no response. During this entire time, they knew that their product was defective, and they kept selling them. I honestly want to rip the things off and pawn them on craig's list, but I can't do that to another person.
Because of their refusal to take responsibility, I refuse to buy any of their products. It's a shame, because I like the look of their bumpers too. There are three other jeepers where I work. After they saw what I went through, they decided not to buy their products either. Sorry for the rant, but I don't take too kindly to a company that burned me (and no doubt others) with such a clear conscious.

Thanks for the post

Something is ridiculous in Step #1: "Start by loosening the 18mm center body mount bushing bolts"
I don't need to loose the center body mount bushing bolts!!! Maybe for the 1st generation, but not for this model. USELESS

This was probably the first generation you were talking:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...38-add1-th.jpg

Last edited by Yoda; 02-13-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

yep, that looks like mine. Good luck with yours.

Quick Reply: How to install the RRC Side Armor