Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to install a kill switch in a 2012 or newer?

Old 02-23-2015, 02:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
One Word
RAVELCO
That looks interesting. I'm going to have to read more about that.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ncb
You can cover the VIN plate by the windshield.
Then what's the repo guy gonna do? Lol

Is that legal?
Old 02-23-2015, 02:58 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Then what's the repo guy gonna do? Lol Is that legal?
I honestly don't know.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to add to my last post,

Keys cutting has become a huge issue this law came down from the FTC and is a federal offense . For us to process a key code or cut a key you have to jump through hoops: you need a picture id, preferable a drivers license, current registration or title. The title must match exactly the Id or no go so if your wife is not on the registration or tittle and she wants a key no dice... You can not believe how many people get pissed at us when we say no.. Fines are off the hook expensive.....the record keeping that needs to be gone is crazy, if there is a dealer that is bending those rules and the cops say there's nothing they can do.. I would be worried about the cops also.... But what I don't understand is the key will get you in the car but without at least 2 keys and the computer to erase and program the new keys it will do you no good... cutting them without programming and trying to use it will just trigger the anti theft and it's over... Only way someone can cut a key and drive off with your ride if it is a not chipped key

I know there are some bad dealers out there but there are good ones too

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 02-23-2015, 03:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by htm7765
I want to add to my last post,

Keys cutting has become a huge issue this law came down from the FTC and is a federal offense . For us to process a key code or cut a key you have to jump through hoops: you need a picture id, preferable a drivers license, current registration or title. The title must match exactly the Id or no go so if your wife is not on the registration or tittle and she wants a key no dice... You can not believe how many people get pissed at us when we say no.. Fines are off the hook expensive.....the record keeping that needs to be gone is crazy, if there is a dealer that is bending those rules and the cops say there's nothing they can do.. I would be worried about the cops also.... But what I don't understand is the key will get you in the car but without at least 2 keys and the computer to erase and program the new keys it will do you no good... cutting them without programming and trying to use it will just trigger the anti theft and it's over... Only way someone can cut a key and drive off with your ride if it is a not chipped key

I know there are some bad dealers out there but there are good ones too

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
What do you mean with the last sentence in the main paragraph?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What do you mean with the last sentence in the main paragraph?
I assume he means if the vehicle does not use chipped keys in the first place.

Maybe it would be worth it to build an immobilizer for my Jeep?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct getting a key cut that works is for an older vehicle one that does not have a chipped key.... Unless you're a thief that possesses something to bypass it..... bottom line I would and do have my own kill switch Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 02-23-2015, 03:58 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jchappies
One Word
RAVELCO
Doesn't surprise me that some low-lifers at many dealers are cuttin' keys. This has been an issue in the past with many Honda/Acuras. This RAVELCO is $500 but I think I might make the jump and get it....

Smart-asses will say they can bypass it with a multimeter. With over a 100k combinations? Yah right. By the time you try the 3rd combination I'll have my 12 gauge barrel to your dome because yeah, I'm that "stupid."

Last edited by DJ1; 02-23-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by htm7765
Correct getting a key cut that works is for an older vehicle one that does not have a chipped key.... Unless you're a thief that possesses something to bypass it..... bottom line I would and do have my own kill switch Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Originally Posted by DJ1
Doesn't surprise me that some low-lifers at many dealers are cuttin' keys. This has been an issue in the past with many Honda/Acuras. This RAVELCO is $500 but I think I might make the jump and get it....

Smart-asses will say they can bypass it with a multimeter. With over a 100k combinations? Yah right. By the time you try the 3rd combination I'll have my 12 gauge barrel to your dome because yeah, I'm that "stupid."
Sounds like I need to build something. Thanks guys. A year ago the chipped key seemed very solid. But like all theft deterrents, sounds like the bad guys are catching up with the good guys.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:19 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Sounds like I need to build something. Thanks guys. A year ago the chipped key seemed very solid. But like all theft deterrents, sounds like the bad guys are catching up with the good guys.
Yup. If $$ is tight, could easily rig up something like a dual layered switch. For example, reed switch + ???

The thing I like about the RAVELCO just from my initial research, you get a AAA discount (~$423), possibly lower insurance premium, and most importantly, I like how it's able to cut the engine off but still allow battery power to everything else = horn alarm. Also, it looks like the sleeve surround on the pigtails out from the connector is a steel, flexible sleeve/tubing.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-23-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: How to install a kill switch in a 2012 or newer?