Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to Install coil springs?

Old 12-12-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Install coil springs?

I have the Rough Country 3.25" coil and spacer lift. I am trying to install the front coils right now and have no idea how I'm supposed to fit the new coils in place. I have the factory ones removed, just can't get the new ones in. Any hints?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Is the issue that the coils are too long for the room available? If so you either need to make more room between the frame and your axel or by getting a set of coil spring compressors.
JK Enthusiast

Are you working with a coil compressor? You can get loaner tools from autozone, should make it much easier (when I did mine I was working with smaller coils, but the concept should hold true). Those more experienced may chime in with wiser advice.
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you should be able to get more than enough droop to get your new coils in and without coil compressors. did you make sure to disconnect your front track bar and remove your factory automatic tranny skidplate? if you didn't, your axle is getting hung up on them.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:33 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Disconnect your sway bar, unbolt your brake line brackets, disconnect your track bar, and remove your transmission skid.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

here - this link should help you out

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 12-12-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, thanks guys, I had the brake lines but the stinking instructions said nothing else. Thanks so much for the quick responses, this is my first job by myself with hand tools...

I'm gonna go give it a try.

Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by D1EHARD
Ok, thanks guys, I had the brake lines but the stinking instructions said nothing else. Thanks so much for the quick responses, this is my first job by myself with hand tools...

I'm gonna go give it a try.

Thanks again.
follow the write-up in the link and you'll be good to go
Old 12-12-2010, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

My buddy and I just installed 3.25" coils. What we did for the front was disconnect the sway bar, disconnect the trackbar where it connects to the axle, disconnect the brake line from the frame, and took the tires off; we decided not to take the shocks off because they can be a pain getting back into the axle and they had plenty of droop anyway.

We then used both of out jack stands, placing them on each side of the front axle -- right around where the front lower control arms connect to the axle -- and we would raise one side while lowering the other in order to create a droop (flex). If the coils still didn't fit, which they didn't, we used spring compressors. Spring compressors are a pain but do work.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
My buddy and I just installed 3.25" coils. What we did for the front was disconnect the sway bar, disconnect the trackbar where it connects to the axle, disconnect the brake line from the frame, and took the tires off; we decided not to take the shocks off because they can be a pain getting back into the axle and they had plenty of droop anyway.

We then used both of out jack stands, placing them on each side of the front axle -- right around where the front lower control arms connect to the axle -- and we would raise one side while lowering the other in order to create a droop (flex). If the coils still didn't fit, which they didn't, we used spring compressors. Spring compressors are a pain but do work.

Good luck!
By not removing your shocks you limited your axel movement and thus had to us the spring compressors.

I did mine springs and was all prepared with spring compressors. Tried to use them but thay ARE a PIA! Someone since told me about a better design. But too late.
And no one is mentioning taking the electric wire off also. So shock, brake line and elect wire, track bar and auto skid plate and you should have all the moovement one needs

Quick Reply: How to Install coil springs?