Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to identify a lift?

Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to identify a lift?

I just bought a lifted 07 Unlimited this past weekend. It's got a Rough Country lift with 35's on 20's.
How can I find out how much lift was actually done? Or if it was done "right"?
Other than just knowing, I don't guess it really matters that much - it drives fine (or what I'd consider fine - I've never had one with more than a 2" puck lift - so not real sure what to expect)
See photos for profile- if that can help
Click image for larger version

Name:	07-side.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	673361Click image for larger version

Name:	07-rrwheel.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	673362Click image for larger version

Name:	07-rfwheel.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	673363
Old 07-18-2017, 05:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I would start by measuring actual lift height. Here is a pic to show were to do that up at the front end.

Mind you, ACTUAL lift varies from jeep to jeep due to weight variables (bumper, winches, etc). You already know it’s a Rough Country lift, so here is a link to their current lift line up for the JKU –

Rough Country Suspension Systems :: Jeep Suspension Lift Kits | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

You're probably not going to measure right at one of those lift heights, but give or take a little. Determine what kit that most likely is and then compare those components with what you see on your jeep. It’s hard buying something that is already lifted and then trying to figure out what the heck a previous owner did. Like G.I. Joe always said…..knowing is half the battle.

Now, in regards to “was it done right”, that is very subjective. Personally not a fan of RC. They seem to be one of the few lifts that likes to use a drop pitman arm rather than doing a drag link flip (high steer kit). "Doing it right" all starts with quality components, and I don’t think you’ll find many that will classify that as a “quality” lift kit; however, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with what you have. I'm pretty sure that the components that came with the kit were probably installed correctly per the directions. If you think it drives fine, that's all that matters really. If you think there is room for improvement, or you're noticing some less than favorable symptoms like "twitchy" steering.....then post back up your findings of components you have and members can help steer you towards some options for improvements.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2017, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Duh, I didn't think about just measuring the springs.
I was afraid I'd find the RC lifts are lower end - this Jeep just happened to fit everything else I was looking for, and being already lifted didn't really play a part in it (except that it's got the stance LOL)
I plan very little off-road use, and that would be pretty mild stuff anyway, so maybe it's OK. Actually have considered putting it back to stock height or at least lowering it some - it's pretty hard for my wife to get in it as it is.
I didn't know what to expect driving it, but I think it's fine. Cruise at 70 is uneventful, not too rough, steers fine - maybe a little darty especially if there are grooves in the road - I blame that on the tires, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by rctoyguy
Thanks! Duh, I didn't think about just measuring the springs.
I was afraid I'd find the RC lifts are lower end - this Jeep just happened to fit everything else I was looking for, and being already lifted didn't really play a part in it (except that it's got the stance LOL)
I plan very little off-road use, and that would be pretty mild stuff anyway, so maybe it's OK. Actually have considered putting it back to stock height or at least lowering it some - it's pretty hard for my wife to get in it as it is.
I didn't know what to expect driving it, but I think it's fine. Cruise at 70 is uneventful, not too rough, steers fine - maybe a little darty especially if there are grooves in the road - I blame that on the tires, but I could be wrong.
Issue with most lower end lifts is they don't address caster. Caster on a stock jeep is 4.2* (IIRC), and when you lift a jeep the caster is lowered....a lot of times down in the 2.X* range, and that has a direct effect on the ride. If you don't raise that caster back up, you get some twitchy/darty steering. The problem is that in order to raise the caster again you would need additional parts.....which then would raise the cost of a lift kit....so a lot of lower end kits don't include that stuff. You can raise caster 3 ways - 1) cam bolts (which you should NOT use), 2) geometry correction brackets, or 3) aftermarket control arms (preferrably adjustable, but some kits will have a longer fixed length arm). If the lift didn't address caster at all, you might want to look at doing so as it would improve the driving experience. Brackets are only ~$105.

Also, given the age of the Jeep, you might want to identify your steering components. Verify if you have an aftermarket track bar, drag link and/or tie rod. Joints in these components, along with ball joints, will wear out over time. If you ever experience some bumpsteer (hit a bump or pothole and the steering wheel yanks a direction), start investigating these before things get worse. They are things that wear out regardless of offroading or not, specially with larger tires on.

Quick Reply: How to identify a lift?