Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How high to lift?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep87
I am going to lift my jeep, but unsure how high to go! My question is, would a 6 inch with 37s be okay. I won't be doing any major rock crawling, maybe a little minor. Mostly easy trails with the wife and kid. Also there will be the occasional mud hole after the rains and plowing thru the snow in the winter. Are there any pros and cons with 4 inch lift and 35's versus a 6 inch lift with 37's?

Thanks,
-JON
Well you can run a TeraFlex 2.5" -3" with 35's. I like how a 3" and 35's look and like FT stated, the 4dr needs the extra clearance. I'm running 37's and a 4" LA kit on mine.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 37s with a 5.5 lift on a 4 door. I could be a full stuff and not hit the uncut fenders. To make sure the on road handling remained the same I did a drag link flip kit, and it feels great. The extra stuff adds up. For 37's I also needed new wheels, reinforced the front axel with inner axel sleeves and C gussets. With the taller lift I also changed out the front and rear driveshafts. Don't forget about modifying / changing your bump stops as well. To run 37's you only need a 3.5 - 4 in lift. My biggest tip, and I'm sure many will agree, is do it right the first time.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Everyone, thank you for the very informative replies. With the information given, I think I've made my decision.

On the 4 door, a 4 inch lift with the 37 inch tires. Along with the lift, come the other things that have to be done; drive shafts, wheels, and etc.... I will make sure to do everything at the same time, to make sure I do it right.

My only question is now, what size wheel. I wanted to go with 20s, but I don't want to sacrifice off road capabilities(even though I won't be doing any extreme rock crawling, just minor). But I like big wheels, and everything is bigger in texas!

Thanks,
-Jon
Old 12-14-2010, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

16's or 17's are what most people run i believe.

Quick Reply: How high to lift?