Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How high to lift?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How high to lift?

I am going to lift my jeep, but unsure how high to go! My question is, would a 6 inch with 37s be okay. I won't be doing any major rock crawling, maybe a little minor. Mostly easy trails with the wife and kid. Also there will be the occasional mud hole after the rains and plowing thru the snow in the winter. Are there any pros and cons with 4 inch lift and 35's versus a 6 inch lift with 37's?

Thanks,
-JON
Old 12-13-2010, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep87
I am going to lift my jeep, but unsure how high to go! My question is, would a 6 inch with 37s be okay. I won't be doing any major rock crawling, maybe a little minor. Mostly easy trails with the wife and kid. Also there will be the occasional mud hole after the rains and plowing thru the snow in the winter. Are there any pros and cons with 4 inch lift and 35's versus a 6 inch lift with 37's?

Thanks,
-JON
I started with a 3" Teraflex lift (ended up being 4-5" lift on the 2-door) and 35" tires. Then I went with stock suspension and flat fenders for a low center of gravity, and I still have the same amount of articulation/flex ability. The ground clearance is still the same too and it rides a lot smoother. It's also easier for my wife and kids to get in and out of, but they still need the grab handles.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 3.5" and 37s

I am running 37" tire with 3.5" lift and fender trim. Works great andI am very glad that I did not go with the 5.5" lift.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeep87
I am going to lift my jeep, but unsure how high to go! My question is, would a 6 inch with 37s be okay.Thanks.........
-JON
Jon,

You ask a very broad question. The JK has huge fender wells that can take 35" with no lift. And with some trimming of fenders, aftermarket fenders, or complete removal you can run 37" tires. You do have to either buy aftermarket rims with the proper back spacing or use spacers with the stock rims to go with a bigger tire so they do not rub.

Old school is you have to raise a vehicle to run bigger tires not true with the JK's fender wells. So it come down to looks....do you want to run a taller jeep or not.

If you raise the JK over 3" suspension you run into issues that add up cost-wise. How much and what depends on either 2 or 4 door and type of transmission.

Today’s line of thought is to keep the center of gravity as low as possible with the most suspension articulation. Each is a trade off with money. How much you want for how much you want to spend.

I would look at the hundreds of pics on here to see what height and size tires you want then decide how much capability is right for you and your budget.

Last edited by toymaster; 12-14-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 AM
JK Freak

That's 4" of lift w/35's. It looks kind of squatty with 35's IMO but I'm moving up to 38.5's when these toyos burn out.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Former Member

I would run 3" and 37's for the two door and 4" and 37's for the 4 door. The 4 door needs all the extra ground clearance it can get.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

two things to keep in mind:

1. 4" doesn't necessarily mean 4" definitely be aware of lift kit size & actual lift yielded. for example a 4" lift kit can really yield 5"

2. higher = more parts to correct geometry = more $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2010, 07:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by m(a)ce
two things to keep in mind:

1. 4" doesn't necessarily mean 4" definitely be aware of lift kit size & actual lift yielded. for example a 4" lift kit can really yield 5"

2. higher = more parts to correct geometry = more $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yup, what he said. the higher you go, the more you really need to address to keep your ON ROAD ride and handling good and, this will cost a lot more money to do. if money is an issue, i would try to keep things lower and make it work with cut flares.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is mine with a 3" lift and 1" body lift sitting on 35" tires and flat fenders, notice the clearance between my tires and fenders, I have since gone to 37"s and still have all the flex without getting my center of gravity too high...
The JK is a different animal than all the others before... you do not have to go as tall to get the results that you want to attain...
Besides... unless you and you're wife are pushing 6 ft. tall, and you think you're kid can jump over 4 ft. to get in...you are gonna have issues getting in that thing!!!
(the young guns are ok with it, but us older dudes mostly don't want to have trouble getting in and out!) plus, it's always a good idea to keep the center of gravity as low as possible if you are gonna get too crazy off road...
Old 12-14-2010, 08:26 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

BTW jeep87, do you have a 2-door or a 4-door? not that it really matters but, i was just curious. a 2-door will have greater breakover angles and you can easily get away with less height and tires whereas a 4-door often needs more to get you up and over the same obstacle.

Quick Reply: How high to lift?