Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How High Can I Go?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get different a amount of lift from different lift kit brands, so going by the advertised amount of lift can be confusing. The magic number is around 3" of actual lift on the front that can start to cause drivelines problems, maybe even a bit less on 2drs. Some of the problems occur in long run (after 50K miles), while others are immediate if you flex your suspension near its limits.

Spend as much time as required to really understand the amount of lift you want and the lift you select, it can significantly alter the behavior and health of your JK.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that sucks. I'm picking up my new 2Dr Wrangler in a few days (it's currently being built), and they aren't upgrading the drive shafts. Until I have the drive shafts replaced, what if I just don't do any extreme wheeling? Will that work in the meantime?
Old 10-29-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it till they break. If you take it easy, they may not go right away.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by armycop
Drive it till they break. If you take it easy, they may not go right away.
yup what he said, if you dont wheel, Chances are it wont need replaced
Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
if its a true 2.5" lift, if the actual height is over 3", you'll need the additional parts.

Stick to a 2" lift to be safe
Thanx for that!

good call!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

So until I upgrade the drive shafts, what is the most off roading I can safely do without damaging the driveline components? Are we talking just no rock crawling, or do I have to avoid all types of wheeling for now? Thanks for the input guys (and girls).
Old 10-30-2009, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run the BDS 3" kit on my 2 door, I had to replace my front drive shaft after only about 1000 mi, and after 2 real good, hard runs at the Badlands, and the dunes, (full flex several times at both) My rear drive shaft is still in good shape for now, but will probably go sometime...
But I agree with armycop,,,, run it till it breaks, then fix it!!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Funny, I just got my new edition of JP Magazine in the mail. They gave a timeline of how their test JK 2-door Rubicon has held up over the last 3 years. After the lift, their rear driveshaft went out after less than 4,000 miles. (they also had both Rubi-lockers fail)

Quick Reply: How High Can I Go?