Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How High Can I Go?

Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How High Can I Go?

How high can I lift my 2009 Rubicon 2 door without having to do drive line modifications?

also what type of load rating should my coils have?

Notes:

(I have a steel bumper with a winch on the front and a modified smitty built tire carrier on the back that it causing my rear end to drop)

I really hate it when the back sags down. when my Gerry can is full and i carry a few extra pounds the back the suspension is almost bottomed out with a rubicon express 2" spacer lift.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeeplover333
How high can I lift my 2009 Rubicon 2 door without having to do drive line modifications?

also what type of load rating should my coils have?

Notes:

(I have a steel bumper with a winch on the front and a modified smitty built tire carrier on the back that it causing my rear end to drop)

I really hate it when the back sags down. when my Gerry can is full and i carry a few extra pounds the back the suspension is almost bottomed out with a rubicon express 2" spacer lift.

Search function, just kidding.

With a 2 door you are lookin' at 2 1/2" suspension max with out a new rear DS. You can run stock rear with 3 1/2" but in less that 10K the CV joint will go out.

I have 3 1/2" rubicon exress and am running the stock front and it is right at the limit FYI. The jump in money from a 2 1/2" to the next step is huge, if done correctly.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by toymaster
Search function, just kidding.

With a 2 door you are lookin' at 2 1/2" suspension max with out a new rear DS. You can run stock rear with 3 1/2" but in less that 10K the CV joint will go out.

I have 3 1/2" rubicon exress and am running the stock front and it is right at the limit FYI. The jump in money from a 2 1/2" to the next step is huge, if done correctly.
if its a true 2.5" lift, if the actual height is over 3", you'll need the additional parts.

Stick to a 2" lift to be safe
Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 AM
JK Junkie

Well, I have a 2DR and 3.25" up front (TF BB and TF 3/4" spacer above it). 2.5" TF BB in the rear. Been running them for about 30,000 miles without an issue and wheel it every month for close to 2 years now, and hard at that. Stock drivelines, no issues, joints and boots intact.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am running ft 3" lift with 3/4" spacer up front... Been on for like 12,500 miles and no problems yet... Stock drive lines...
Old 10-29-2009, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I spoke to a TeraFlex rep and a local 4WD shop, and they all told me I don't need to upgrade my drive shafts with the TeraFlex 3" lift kit. And on the 2 door soft top, that's going to be about a 4" lift. Again, this information was from the experts.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bazetthound
I spoke to a TeraFlex rep and a local 4WD shop, and they all told me I don't need to upgrade my drive shafts with the TeraFlex 3" lift kit. And on the 2 door soft top, that's going to be about a 4" lift. Again, this information was from the experts.

Ask them if they'll pay for the new driveshafts when they rip apart, they are giving you a line of BS.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 10-29-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Well, I have a 2DR and 3.25" up front (TF BB and TF 3/4" spacer above it). 2.5" TF BB in the rear. Been running them for about 30,000 miles without an issue and wheel it every month for close to 2 years now, and hard at that. Stock drivelines, no issues, joints and boots intact.
you and usgone are the exceptions to the rule, he's running a 3" FT lift and no issues yet either.

here's a quote from today in another thread
Originally Posted by desertdawg
My Teraflex 2.5 coil lift ended up being 3.5" in the front and 2.5" in the back (on my 2-door X). This made it necessary to get the driveshaft upgrades and reset driveline angles (my rear DS seal lasted about 500 miles, started leaking on my first off-road trip after the lift). Don't use cam bolts to set the angles, get adjustable rear-upper and front-lower control arms.

Originally Posted by Berts JK
I am running ft 3" lift with 3/4" spacer up front... Been on for like 12,500 miles and no problems yet... Stock drive lines...
Did you extend your bump stops? if not you'll over compress the coils flexing out.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 10-29-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bazetthound
unfortunately, whoever you talked to doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. personally, i would steer clear of the 4WD shop you talked to and someone at TF should be told that their reps are giving out bad info.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A TeraFlex 3" on a 2dr (makes for a 5" kit), definitely new shafts front and rear. Adding adjustable control arms is highly suggested. On a 4dr at least the front with a auto, but count on the rear some day.

Quick Reply: How High Can I Go?