Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how to get a softer ride.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get a softer ride.

Ok so i installed a Rock Krawler 2.5 max travel with blisteins and a rough country 1.25 body lift with 17x9 addicts with 37/12.50/17 cooper stt. I am very happy with how well it flexed out and the extremely beefy control arms. But the ride is a little stiffer than i was expecting. All i read is how well it rides. Right now i am running no rear swaybar front manually disco and 18psi in tires its a little better on the road. My previous ride was a 09 with a 2.5 procomp same 37" tires it flexed out good and rode like it was on air so nice. The rock krawler kit is 100 times better but how do i get that nice soft ride change the shocks or the springs and if so which brand? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Attached are pictures of my old 09 and my new 2012.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1095.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	236363Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-02 17.38.35-1.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	236364
Old 11-13-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default shocks

i never gave shocks much thought but i had the same prob with a bds lift. changed the spring to aev, little difference but not much. when i ordered them from dave at northridge he said should change shock too but i didnt think it would make that much difference. i recently put the fox 2.0 on and it was a whole new jeep never relized what a difference it would make, but it was huge. they were the single best money i spent. i have had buddies with bilstiens on lifted trucks and they all said Bilstiens ride rough.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kyle, did you get to ride in Mike's jeep with the RK shocks today? Still offering to try my 9000's to see if they are better?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mike, No i forgot to go for a ride in mike's jeep i was having to much fun haha. I might have to try those rancho shocks just to see.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

when i lifted my jeep i got the elka racing shocks and holy shit man it is stiff. maby its because the rear is actually no sitting on my teraflex speed bumps.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by srt8ftw
when i lifted my jeep i got the elka racing shocks and holy shit man it is stiff. maby its because the rear is actually no sitting on my teraflex speed bumps.
Do you have TF springs? My elkas work really well with the TF springs. Not what I'd consider stiff at all.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Do you have TF springs? My elkas work really well with the TF springs. Not what I'd consider stiff at all.
Yup agree, I have TF 3" lift kit with Elka Shox... amazing ride mate... Bloody awesome stuff. Recommend you go elka. One of hte guys over here has Fox and has told me (after driving the Elka) that the Elka's are softer and better on road feel/ride.

Cheers
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the same lift, on a 2012 JKU, with the same shocks last week. The only difference I can figure is I am running 35 inch Nittos at 32 psi. IMO, it is as nice as the stock Rubicon
suspension. Check your tire pressures.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
yea i do have the teraflex springs. i really think my OLD installers tottally fucked up my install. my control arms are not centered and the rear is actually resting on the rear speedbumps. this means that my shocks can only compress about 50% of the way before my speedbumps start to take all the weight. i used to speed up for speedbumps on the stock rubi, now i have to slow down
Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

If your rear end is resting on the speed bumps, then your shocks are not working. Your speed bumps have now become your shocks. Not the way they are designed. I think you're right on the installer. That is FUBAR. Check the spec's on the shocks and the measurement. He may have put on too short of a shock. What I know about the Elka shocks and Bilsteins, they are some of the best shocks out there. I know that two of my vehicles have Bilsteins on it and the ride couldn't be better. I'm going to put the Elka's on my new jeep.

Quick Reply: how to get a softer ride.