Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to fix a 1 inch rake on my JKU.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix a 1 inch rake on my JKU.

Any advise is appreciated. I recently installed a Teraflex 2.5 budget boost. My front end is about 1/2 inch lower than the rear. I am planning to add some weight to the front with a new Poison Spyder bumper and winch. This extra weight will most likely add to my rake. What options are out there that will help me level my jeep? Is is possible to add another spacer in the front to the already installed budget boost? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should've bought a coil lift.

Maybe try a leveling kit, or springs rated for the extra weight.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could switch out front coils with a higher rate. What is the numbers on yours? Different options out there for coils. OME, EVO, or factory replacements real cheap. They would run anywhere from free to little over $200.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by catahoula
You could switch out front coils with a higher rate. What is the numbers on yours? Different options out there for coils. OME, EVO, or factory replacements real cheap. They would run anywhere from free to little over $200.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am using my stock coils (2015 Sahara JKU ). I wonder if it is safe to have different coils in front.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I wonder if it is safe to have different coils in front.
Why would swapping coils not be safe? It's a very common way to lift our jeeps, or to compensate for heavier loads. And I would think replacing the coils is a better option than stacking spacers on top of spacers on top of spacers.

There should be tags on your coils. Get the numbers, both front and rear, and post them. You may be able to swap to a cheap/free set of heavier stock coils, but we need to know the numbers to give you any advice on that. The other option mentioned was aftermarket coils, which can add lift and/or load rate to compensate for the weight.

But before running out and buying coils, you might wait for the extra weight to go on so you have a better idea of how much height you will want to add.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

put a smaller puck in the rear.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Every reply has been expert advice.
But from experience, if you are just street, I'd take Dirtmans suggestion.
Back when my jeep was a street DD I had the same prob. So I put 3" coils on the front and left the 2.5" pucks on the rear. All the same hardware from the TF BB. The only prob was geometry, which was easily fixed with $99 Geo correction brackets. Drove and, even wheeled it a bit like that for at least 2 years without any problems. Of course the rear DS boot was the first prob...
Old 11-25-2016, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the opposite problem when I installed my lift. Of course the extra weight of a steel bumper, tire carrier and a 35" spare on the back definitely didn't help. I went with a heavier duty rear spring, I'm sure you could do the same to the front.

Quick Reply: How to fix a 1 inch rake on my JKU.