Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How fast is too fast? In 4wd

Old 10-03-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast is too fast? In 4wd

Let's keep "the manual" out of this one..... How fast for how long can I drive in 4 high without rebuilding my t case? I'm rolling a lot of rubber for a good distance to go skiing in some big storms and sometimes I like to get there in a timely fashion and sometimes 2wd just doesn't cut it. I basically want to know if I can roll on ice at 50 mph in 4 high. Sorry but don't really want to hear the "if u need 4wd u shouldn't be going over 40". My dad gave me that talk a long time ago.... Sometimes I wish I had all wheel drive but then I realized I wouldn't be in JEEP!!!!
Old 10-03-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustJeepinWithYa
Let's keep "the manual" out of this one..... How fast for how long can I drive in 4 high without rebuilding my t case? I'm rolling a lot of rubber for a good distance to go skiing in some big storms and sometimes I like to get there in a timely fashion and sometimes 2wd just doesn't cut it. I basically want to know if I can roll on ice at 50 mph in 4 high. Sorry but don't really want to hear the "if u need 4wd u shouldn't be going over 40". My dad gave me that talk a long time ago.... Sometimes I wish I had all wheel drive but then I realized I wouldn't be in JEEP!!!!
Let's hear more about the jeep and what's been done to it?
Tires what kind
what kind of roads
how much snow on the roads
This all plays into how fast you should be driving.
unless you like driving in the ditch
Old 10-03-2014, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Go as fast as you want, doesn't sound like you would listen to any advice you don't want to hear anyways.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure 50 in four high will not make your Jeep explode. Unless it's because of the ice and you wreck and catch fire or whatever. According to the manual... ;p

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove 5 hours in 4 hi, varied speeds from 40-60 the whole time and no issues.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

I used to drive my yj in 4hi all the time at 70 it hydroplaned a lot lol
Old 10-03-2014, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Not long ago I drove a Ram 1500 4x4 trouble free from southern Indiana to Denver and back in hi lock at up to 75mph or so. Later this winter I'll tell you first hand how the Jeep does on the same trip. If you come to dry pavement kick it into 2x until the road gets covered again and you should be fine.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

I drive in 4hi fairly commonly in the winter due to snow. I rarely make it past 50-60mph, but conditions rarely warrant faster speeds.

I did make it through Alabama a few years back at highway speeds, and I felt the tranny and transfer case performed admirably in 4hi. I was also impressed with the lack of change in gas mileage!

Because of the txfr case taking all of the revolutions in either gear, there shouldn't be a problem there with higher speeds.

Gregg
Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

I have friends that trap 165+ in the 1/4 mile in 3/4 ton diesels. I know a 271 DHD transfer case is pretty stout, but I wouldn't think 70+ in a JK would be an issue at all.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've driven from Chicago to the UP of
Michigan several times last winter in 4 hi at speeds around 55-65 and no problem. Sometimes the roads are just slippery enough you want that extra traction.

Quick Reply: How fast is too fast? In 4wd