Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How do you tell the type of lift

Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd pull it apart and check the pucks for any signs of wear that may potentially cause a failure (unlikely but ya never know). Also, get longer sway bar links and I'd also entertain the idea of doing quick disconnects (Teraflex, JKS, home brew) as long as it is apart. But most importantly, GET IT DONE FAST! It doesn't appear to sweet as it is presently.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thing ya posted up those pics! Use the forum...excellent info available and folks willing to help.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougk
Whats the recommendation? Repair or replace. If its replace do you have a specific brand?

thanks
Doug
since all you have is a BB, id do another BB. check out the Teraflex 2.5" Budget Boost. Northridge4x4.com has a good sale right now (coupon "Teraflex"). it will address all of the items i see wrong in your pics and theres no need to break the bank.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's all good advice...And it is a little unsafe to drive. But it's probably been that way for so long( and not been flexed ) its warped the pucks.. Should be addressed asap. But as far as what lift you have, it looks like all stock but a budget boost pucks. The springs and even the shocks look to be stock.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wazooz2424

since all you have is a BB, id do another BB. check out the Teraflex 2.5" Budget Boost. Northridge4x4.com has a good sale right now (coupon "Teraflex"). it will address all of the items i see wrong in your pics and theres no need to break the bank.
Those coils are beyond fatigued if they've been like that for long, swap everything out for new. IMO that shit is a rolling hazard and reusing any of it is dangerous.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Harbourone
Those coils are beyond fatigued if they've been like that for long, swap everything out for new. IMO that shit is a rolling hazard and reusing any of it is dangerous.
thats debatable, but the thing that is certain is that he has a BB and needs to replace it.

get the BB or a small coil lift or coil leveling kit. you can find used rubicon coils for cheap around here for sale. i actually have some, if you end up needing to replace the coils.

the coils on there visually look ok. none are touching, which is good. what size tires are you running? you may be able to remove the BB on there and run it stock for a while.

Last edited by wazooz2424; 03-06-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
what size tires are you running? you may be able to remove the BB on there and run it stock for a while.
I am running 33's on it now. I am planning to take it to a local 4 wheel shop to have them look at it. I was planning on doing gears next but need to see what needs to be done to fix the BB. Also, the Jeep has 66k miles so I am thinking about replacing the shocks. So now the question is do I fix the BB mess and replace the shocks and coils?

Thanks to everyone on the red flag concerning this setup.

Last edited by dougk; 03-06-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

A 2 1/2 " lift kits about 500 bucks depending on what you go with, and you would be all new then. + your guys labor, unless you can wrench? There are some good write ups on here, that walk your thru it . Look thru them before you pay someone to do something you can.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by R n Y
A 2 1/2 " lift kits about 500 bucks depending on what you go with, and you would be all new then. + your guys labor, unless you can wrench? There are some good write ups on here, that walk your thru it . Look thru them before you pay someone to do something you can.
Thanks for the recommendation.

After looking into this BB issue, I decided to go with the TF 2.5 coil lift with shocks. After looking at the great writeups on JK Project I decided to do the lift myself. I have the tools and the knowledge and the

David at Northridge 4x4 was very helpful. With 66k miles on the original shocks and the super budget lift on the Jeep I feel more comfortable doing the install myself.

Doug
Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dougk
Thanks for the recommendation.

After looking into this BB issue, I decided to go with the TF 2.5 coil lift with shocks. After looking at the great writeups on JK Project I decided to do the lift myself. I have the tools and the knowledge and the

David at Northridge 4x4 was very helpful. With 66k miles on the original shocks and the super budget lift on the Jeep I feel more comfortable doing the install myself.

Doug
good choice on the lift, I have the same kit and its great. I can't believe they sold that jeep to you that way, a number of things could of went wrong.

Quick Reply: How do you tell the type of lift