Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How do you save HiLift from rusting when you mount it outside of your jeep?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep it clean, oiled, maintain it and use it. Mines it about twenty now and been everywhere.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MountainJK
keep it clean, oiled, maintain it and use it. Mines it about twenty now and been everywhere.
Oiling it is what I was guessing cause some I have seen outboard seem to be almost glossy. And not rusty.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WD-40 every three months in the winter and once in the summer for the mechanism. Had my TJ one for 11 years this way and I have done the same thing for my JK's for the past 3 years.

The cost is about 40 cents a year with this approach...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ooo yes, yes, yes, mounting it on the rear end of the roll cage would be great especially that I am luckily have Unlimited :-).
Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

River Raider has one that mounts a 48" Hi-Lift inside rear cargo area on the rollbar. It worked fine with my 2 door and supposedly the same goes for an Unlimited.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

So after you oil it what about the dirt roads? Your jack will be caked with dirt

The rust adds character!!! Stop worrying about how bad you jack looks, it's a tool not a fashion statement. Just my two cent
Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep(NV)
So after you oil it what about the dirt roads? Your jack will be caked with dirt
Nope, good too go,it gets mud too not a problem
Old 02-24-2011, 10:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MountainJK
Nope, good too go,it gets mud too not a problem
Well we don't have much mud in Nevada, just a lot of dust.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep(NV)

The rust adds character!!! Stop worrying about how bad you jack looks, it's a tool not a fashion statement. Just my two cent
I just spray the jeep off when I get home. WD40 = Water Displacing, version 40. Don't use oil. It doesn't work the same way.

I don't think the issue is how it looks (at least it's not for me). Dried out ratchet mechanisms will not function when you need it on the trail. Most people rarely use a hi-lift, but when you need it there is usally an important reason. The last time I used mine was to help a guy on the trail who had broken a spring perch and he needed his CJ jacked up to line up the perch to his frame for welding (which used my ready welder for as well). He was lucky as hell I happened a long.

Last edited by BKGM Jeepers; 02-24-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

the WD40 and dont leave it on the rig while around town no reason unless ur planning on getting high centered on a parking block

Quick Reply: How do you save HiLift from rusting when you mount it outside of your jeep?