Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How do I restore powder coat?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I restore powder coat?

I bought a bumper of Craigslist that is in great condition except the powder coat is a bit faded. Is there any way to restore the finish?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
I bought a bumper of Craigslist that is in great condition except the powder coat is a bit faded. Is there any way to restore the finish?
Rub it down with WD-40 or 303 aerospace protectant. It will revive it and last for about a month. I use 303 on my bumpers/fenders every time after I wash. They will look new!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Powder coat is paint. Treat it the same. Google Zaino Bros Wax and look at their products. Email them what you're needing to do and they can tell you what to get
Old 05-17-2020, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find a good wax to restore the powder coat to its original shine? Something more permanently unlike the 303 spray?
My PS fender flares have gotten dull over the last few years and would prefer not to have them re coated.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2020, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by thechrisjones
Did you ever find a good wax to restore the powder coat to its original shine? Something more permanently unlike the 303 spray?
My PS fender flares have gotten dull over the last few years and would prefer not to have them re coated.

Thanks!
I haven't used it for powder coating color restoration yet, but I would definitely give Flood's Penetrol a try in a small inconspicuous area and go from there. Penetrol is a paint conditioner additive intended to remove paint brush stroke marks in oil based paints and can be found in the paint section of most hardware and big box stores. It works great on restoring the color of faded plastic trim where many detail places use it for that purpose. I suspect it will work on faded powder coat as well. The best part is that it lasts a long time and only costs about $10 for a quart. If it doesn't work on the powder coating, then you still have one of the best products to restore any plastic back to new.

I swear by the stuff, I now use it on the interior of my 2009 JKU plastic dash and doors pieces where they look like new when I'm done.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rednroll...how long does the penetrol last on the plastic?. I'm interested in using this on my 2007 OE bumpers and sidesteps.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by thechrisjones

Thanks!
Rattle can will do the job. Just wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol, and give them a light and even coat or two. Paint sticks really well to PC.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use penetrol on my plastic fenders once a year & it will last longer. Haven't used it on paint-yet. Make sure you get the one for oil based paints as there is another kind. If you read the back label the last thing it says is that it restores fiberglass.
The following users liked this post:
barongan (05-29-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TSLtrek
Rednroll...how long does the penetrol last on the plastic?. I'm interested in using this on my 2007 OE bumpers and sidesteps.
It lasts at least a year and that's with me doing car washes three times a week. I have one of those monthly unlimited car wash memberships. I just apply it once a year during spring clean up and it's good for a year or longer. Most people who don't wash their JK as much as myself say it lasts them around 1.5 to 2 years.

I went into Home Depot a few weeks back, and saw Penetrol in their clearance section. I was worried they were going to stop carrying it, so I purchased 2 cans to go with the 1/2 can I already have. That should last me longer than my JK will.

The following users liked this post:
TSLtrek (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Rattle can will do the job. Just wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol, and give them a light and even coat or two. Paint sticks really well to PC.
To add to what Bora already mentioned. This is my secret sauce recipe for repainting anything powder coated.

The Rustoleum fine texture resembles powder coating really well, the Matte clear gives it a good protective durable coating without it being too shiney.

Quick Reply: How do I restore powder coat?