Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How do I reset my ESP / Traction control lights?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Make sure steering wheel in centered

2. Center axles with adjustable track bars??
Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShawnJ
I disconnected the Neg terminal on my battery and left it of for 20 min. = ESP Traction control lights still on. Then tried again for 30 min = lights are still on. I will go to have Advance Auto read the code w/ an ODB II and see what happens.

I was under the assumption that when you dissconnect power it would clear the code (in this case lights) until I drive it and the system detects an alignment problem then re-sends the code. Is this not true.
is your wheel cenetered? Check tire pressure... drive it around a little. when exactly did this start to happen? Worse case... you could have a broken clock spring.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might wanna check and see if one of your wheel sensor wires is not unplugged or damaged. You can check for codes this way...
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...what-they-mean

If its throwing a code after re-setting, you should be able to find it here and track it down.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Went over to Advance Auto and had it checked on OBDII and it read "PASS - No codes found.

I don't see any visible damage to the sensor lines going into any of the calipers; but I'm sure they could be damaged w/o any noticable signs.

Additionally, I had my MT/R's mounted w/o any TPMS sensors but the ( ! ) light is not on. No idea why not.

Looks like a trip to the dealership.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Shawn,

Check your Toe-in and make sure you have 1/8" set correctly. Then adjust Drag link to get steering wheel straight.

Use WOL's, allignment write-up to do this if you don't understand.

ESP lights will go out after about 10 miles of driving.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Ken!

I will do that tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools here at my house so I will take it to the shop @ work tomorrow and do the alignment WOL has listed!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

I'm in the same boat Shawn... My steering wheel is centered, front axle is centered, back axle is off by maybe a 1/2 inch... I don't think that would throw the system offthough... It's aggrivating as hell... I have run out guesses/ solutions.. What is the "clock spring"?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default Updates...

ShawnJ,

Keep us posted on how this goes. I'm hoping to install a lift this fall and this sort of thing really concerns me because I'm so anal about stuff like that. Having those lights on would drive me CRAZY!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: How do I reset my ESP / Traction control lights?